Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Phoenix25 Posts: 203, Reputation: 5

Oct 2, 2006, 04:07 PM
    Big legs
    Can someone please help me
    I want to lose weight of my legs
    What exercises do I have to do to lose weight of my legs?
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Oct 6, 2006, 05:34 AM
    It is essentially impossible to "spot" reduce fat from any single area of the body (with the exception of surgical liposuction) - generally, you must lose weight "all over" to see any improvement. In fact, leg exercises without some attempt at general weight reduction will possibly make your legs appear bigger as the muscle enlarge and the fat remains. Leg size has a lot to do with heredity - do "big legs" run in your family? (Pardon the pun!! ) A sensible diet plan combined with an exercise routine to develop your "total" body (including both cardiovascular and strength training exercise) is probably the answer to your concerns...
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Oct 6, 2006, 09:20 AM
    Phoenix25-

It is true that you must try for general weight reduction. If you are healthy & can do most exercises, this is what you can do to lose weight more so on your legs. (I came from the Twiggy generation so I can say I have spot reduced myself)
    Assume you take in 2000 calories before the diet. Now, with lower fat, lower carbs, figure a daily caloric intake of 1200-1500 per day, but no less than 1200. Also , don't go without carbs for more than one day(u can slow your metabolism too much)
    Now, concentrate all your exercise to your legs daily. Take 45 min. power-walks around your neighborhood every day(break one day if you must)
    Soon enough, a month will go by & you will have lost about 10 lbs.(depending on your intake) But you must cut calories to lose the weight.
    By working & heating up the lower part of your body, you will lose more, hopefully most of the weight from your legs & not just by gravity.
    If (depending on your age- the younger the better-for having the skin taut back also-) if you have much fat & are older - lose the weight slightly slower.
    At the end of your desired weight loss, you will have sped up your metabolism & lost fat. This allows for you to burn calories more efficiently because your muscles burn more calories that fat. So, you can gradually get to the 2000 calorie intake(which is a guideline) & maintain your ideal weight.
    Exercise will be key (even 10-15 minutes a day-5 days per week religiously will work) You will find that if you don't do the exercise, you don't feel as well as when you do-& it makes you WANT to do it before anything else.

Statistics say that only 50% of our weight status is genetic. The other (health considering) is up to you.
    Good Luck!
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Jan 30, 2007, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 31pumpkin
    Phoenix25-
    If you are healthy & can do most exercises, this is what you can do to lose weight more so on your legs. (I came from the Twiggy generation so I can say I have spot reduced myself)

By working & heating up the lower part of your body, you will lose more, hopefully most of the weight from your legs & not just by gravity.

At the end of your desired weight loss, you will have sped up your metabolism & lost fat. This allows for u to burn calories more efficiently b/c your muscles burn more calories that fat.
    Please see this reference...

Diet, exercise take off equal pounds - Diet & Nutrition - MSNBC.com

There is no clinical evidence to support the wide-spread myth of "spot reduction" - and likewise there is no evidence to support the notion that building muscle helps boost resting metabolism.
    lilkimintraning Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 07:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix25
    Can someone please help me
    I want to lose weight of my legs
    What exercises do I have to do to lose weight of my legs?
    DO cardio vidios and if u want to tone your lags after side lunges with a 10lb wight ball but DO cardio any cardio vid work.
    xrockin-rhinox Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 12:27 PM
    FAT THIGHS
    WHY WE GET THEM - HOW TO GET RID OF THEM
    WHY WE GET FAT THIGHS
    1. We women are programmed by Nature to store fat on the lower part of
    Our body in order to protect our reproductive organs. Thus, after menopause,
    When we are no longer able to reproduce, our weight distribution changes
    And we accumulate more fat above the waist - just like men.

2. Our genes also influence where we store our excess fat. For example,
    If the female members of our family have tended to store fat on their hips,
    We may do the same. Likewise, we also inherit our bone structure -
    Wide or narrow hip bones, broad or narrow shoulders.

3. We do NOT, however, inherit the fat itself.
    We alone are responsible for this, and
    We can change this any time we want to.

THE MAIN REASON WE GET FAT THIGHS
    The main reason we have fat thighs, fat hips or a fat butt, is
    Because of what we EAT
    Remember: no one stores fat anywhere, unless they
    Consume more energy than they expend
    Therefore, the ONLY way to get rid of fat thighs is to
    CHANGE OUR EATING HABITS.
    In particular, we must EAT LESS FAT
    We can't exercise it off, we can't massage it off, we can't beat it off,
    The only solution is to EAT a SENSIBLE DIET
    This is the only way to get lean thighs.
    I see hundreds of overweight individuals, every year.
    I've helped thousands of overweight people over the past 24 years.
    If there was a quick-fix solution, I'd be the first to know

HOW TO GET RID OF FAT THIGHS
    A good start is to watch your intake of FAT and REFINED CARBS
    amazing Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Mar 24, 2007, 10:10 AM
    I am the expert, so please listen to me!

You cannot get a fat butt or legs just from eating excessively. To get slim legs, you need to run (I mean literally putting your efforts into it) about 45 minutes a morning, walk every place you get the opportunity to and possibly swim for three times a week too because swimming is the very very best of all exercise to get rid of fat from your legs and bum I promise you 100%.

About me:

Have always had huge legs since the age of 17 on and off and always have lost the weight on my legs when I have stuck to a diet and exercised.

Facts: Celebrities and us

ALL celebrities go to the gym 2-3 hours a day or jog, run, skip etc to get thinner legs.
    They have personal trainers to help them learn the appropriate techniques of exercise
    They all watch what they eat and often live off a 600 - 800 calorie a day diet and drink gallons of water, herbal tea, smoke to curb appetite.

This is the extremity they go to have thin legs and they are not born with thin legs (very few women have skinny legs naturally) and so can you too if you ran every morning for 45 minutes and swam for 30 minutes in the evenings four days a week. Your legs will be half of what they are now but exercise is the only real way of shifting weight in those places and just be careful about what sorts of foods you eat. I have managed to cut out all junk and eat 90% fruit and vegetables everyday and drink lots of water and herbal tea. Never eat saturated fats found in cooking oil, margarine, milk, cakes, biscuits, pies, pastries - they are all packed with the stuff. Try and gradually get used to more healthier foods instead like jacket potatoes and rice with fat free toppings or grated vegetables. Drink 8 glasses of water a day.

Doing it gradually is the key because you don't want to shock your system too quickly before you have even begun. But a run every morning for 15 minutes to begin with for two weeks will be a good place to start and you can go out early if you feel self-conscious. That is how I started to lose fat from the legs but you have to keep doing it and not do it one day and not another (six mornings a week is ideal but the best thing to do) and buy a good pair of airmax trainers.

After your morning jog, eat a small bowl of museli that have oats in them (don't go for wheat products as they bloat most people) add chopped strawberries and any other berries you can as they really do clean you out! Have a glass of water and drink it all. Watch your portion sizes when it comes to all food and a small plate is the right size for all meals. If you are not into calorie counting like me, it is better to just know that 3/4 of your plate should have at least 5 types of vegetables and a fist sized piece of chicken or fish to go with it = a meal. Soup is a very good option if you boil green leafy vegetables in water and serve it with a wholemeal role.

Never ever skip breakfast - that is what is going to fill you up throughout a good portion of the day. You will feel hungry for a while but as the days pass, you will learn to understand how much your body does and doesn't need to eat. Your body doesn't need mountains of food to function well, in fact, it needs less than we give it most of the time and why people are overweight. 1000 calories a day is what most of us should be living on not 1'500 plus - that is what causes obesity. You can eat a bowl of rice and be full for the whole evening and yet, it contains 100 calories but you will need to burn it off rather than sit full for the whole evening.

A good fast walk for an hour everyday will also get your metabolism working as well as the running and what burns the calories off - but don't eat more just because of this. Just eat less of what you do and more healthier options too. Cut out any fizzy drinks, crisps and anything with fat, salt and sugar however hard that is going to be. I did it and am so glad I did as that stuff is so addictive and nasty. Get clean and little by little, eat better stuff and live as raw as you can with food because raw foods are the most antioxidant of all the foods out there. Your diet should be 70% raw and 30% protein.

I give you the honest truth if you want slim legs and you will get them if you increase your physical activity treble - fold. Spot reduction does not work and neither does a quick short walk around the park - you literally have to run, swim or do aerobics one hour a day to get the results you are looking for and in quick enough time. I know it seems unfair - but even I have to exercise like crazy to get thin legs but I tell you, that once you get used to running, you will enjoy it but swimming sheds the weight everywhere after six weeks you will lose a stone if you eat a 1000 calorie a day food intake, just eat whole foods that are less calorific and keep you satisfied for longer.

Be brave and just do it, you will feel so much better and more confident as the days turn into weeks I promise you.

Mar 24, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Just to give you an example of a good diet that contains 1000 calories and will fill you up!

Breakfast:

I bowl museli with oats and chapped berries of any sort, half a glass of skimmed milk and add water to it to fill it to the top and pour over cereal. I apple and glass of water.

Dinner: 1 plate of mixed leafy salad with tuna and one teaspoon of low fat mayonaise. I banana.

Tea: One larger plate of grated raw vegetables with five fish fingers and a glass of water.

This is a ggod example of how much we should be eating a day.

Hope this helps you but it is what I have come to learn for myself?
    calover16m Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Apr 29, 2007, 03:53 PM
    I have the same problem with wanting to tone my legs... ive heard that squats work well to try to help although it is supossedly impossible to be able to lose weight from one spot.

Apr 30, 2007, 02:06 AM
    Hi there,

You know, some exercises aren't going to be right for every person, but walking suits everyone and will shift fat from the legs if you put stride into your walking. You also have to get into a routine of walking everyday at around seven to eight miles a day if you really want to get toned legs. Swimming is also another very effective exercise to get slim legs and does work if you swim around four days a week for a good hour at a time combined with another exercise.

Cycling is another great choice, but doesn't work alone if you have heavy or large legs. In my experiences, it is best to cycle to the swimming pool and then swim for an hour and then cycle back and doing this four times a week will get you thin legs and within the first six weeks, you will notice a very big difference. After six weeks of this exercise, your legs will just get more and more toned until you eventually have the legs you want, but you have to keep exercising like this to keep them! I was amazed at how my whole body transformed once I began swimming and I had a very sculpted body as a result of doing it everyday and by watching what I was eating.

It will work for you and anyone with big legs because it did for me. It is just that like all exercise, you have to put into it what you want to get out of it and that can seem like a huge chore if you are not comfortable with the idea of losing the weight. Some overweight people can trick themselves into thinking that they are safer or more comfortable with the weight on them and so this can contradict their own attitudes towards wanting to lose weight and towards not sure if it is what they really want to. But this is only because it becomes familiar to have weight and so getting rid of excess weight is essential to health as well boosting psychological wellbeing too.

Knowing when you eat for emotional reasons and when you are hungry can be really difficult at times, but it is always good to go out for a good forceful walk once you feel hungry between meals and then to try and eat after that and see if the hunger is still there? Replace all the addictive food stuff with healthier fruits and vegetables and always eat a good breakfast with lots of berries on top of cereal. Dandelion tea is another good choice of drink in the morning and is a kind of colon cleanser and healthier than tea or coffee. Keep a diary of what you are eating and roughly the times. Keep a separate one to record your feelings just before you are about to eat so that you can see any patterns emerging of when you do eat emotionally and what is behind that need? Taking back control over your bodily needs is going to be a tough journey for anyone trying to lose weight, but it can be done if you really want to change you life and your body.
    fresca7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 10:10 AM
    AMAZING. I'm totally going to try your regime!. I've been cursed with big legs and am really just sick and tired of them. So I'm ready to go! Luckily I am an athlete so I do run already, but adding swimming will hopefully get the job done.
    Cutting bad food out of my diet is probably the most difficult part as I am a teenager and sometimes choose convenience over health. But no more! Thank you!
    taylor xx Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2009, 02:17 PM

No, cutting down you calories that far will cause damage to yourself! 1000 cals a day is too limited. The daily guideline amount is 2000 this is because your body NEEDS 2000 calories to work properly, think of your body like a car if it doesn't have petrol it won't run properly it's the same for your calories. Eat sensibly this means don't eat too much but don't eat to little ether, 1000 cals could cause your bones to weaken and thin and your hair and nails will become . On a diet you lose weight from your head down so the first place you would lose from is your face then BOOBS then waist hips thighs etc and when you put weight on it starts from your thighs up so eat sensibly and EXECIZE :)
    taylor xx Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2009, 02:17 PM

No, cutting down you calories that far will cause damage to yourself! 1000 cals a day is too limited. The daily guideline amount is 2000 this is because your body NEEDS 2000 calories to work properly, think of your body like a car if it doesn't have petrol it won't run properly it's the same for your calories. Eat sensibly this means don't eat too much but don't eat to little ether, 1000 cals could cause your bones to weaken and thin and your hair and nails will become . On a diet you lose weight from your head down so the first place you would lose from is your face then BOOBS then waist hips thighs etc and when you put weight on it starts from your thighs up so eat sensibly and EXECIZE :)
    doodie Posts: 19, Reputation: 7

Jun 21, 2009, 09:26 PM

Basically you have to exciercise that area which we do not tend to do very much, you must keep the blood circulating properly there. The best excercises are running and swimming if you want to lose the weight on your legs. Try to run for as long as you can without stopping, keep in mind the you only start burning actually fat after about 20 minutes of solid exercise. Aim for about a 40 min jog 3-4 times a week and when your running the whole point is not to stop and just keep going. It is hard at first but bring some music or a picture of somebody that motivates you and get running=)
    The swimming is great to tone your body after you lose the weight because you don't want any flaps of leftover skin to be there.
    Hope this helps=)
    mustang1947 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2010, 02:21 AM
    Sorry if big legs run in your family especially both sides you have to live with them but you can keep them toned. I'm a guy and don't mind that my legs are big also, but a lot of men like their women with big legs
    Hannah222333 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2010, 10:42 AM
    I am trying to achieve that toned look, I have been running for 5 days now, I go out early in the morning at around 6:00 and come back at 6:45 to get a shower and dressed for school. I also go to the gym on a Friday and I've been trying out Hannah Waterman's excersize DVD. I am 14 years old.. is this enough to get a lean body?
    I'm 5 foot 8 inches and I weigh 9 stone 7 pounds.. I am a size 10 to 12 in clothing.
    I have been eating a lot of fruit recently.. mango for lunch, but my mum makes pasta for tea and it has a tomatoe sauce.. will this effect my weight loss?
    Please help me.. thank you! :) xx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search