Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joanflett Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Suds in Dishwasher
    I have a two year old Kitchenaid dishwasher that during the final rinse, I found suds in the bottom of the appliance this has been happening for several days. The suds are not coming from the detergent as I have checked several times during the wash cycle and there are no suds during the wash. I can't seem to get rid of them. I've used a sprinkling of salt but this just makes the inside gritty. I recently topped up the Jet Dry. Could the suds be a result of too much rinse agent? The dishes are clean and spotless. What can I do to get rid of all these suds?

Joan
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 09:12 AM
    What happens if you run through a cycle with no detergent? Clrar water of do you still have suds?

Jul 26, 2007, 09:51 AM
    Hi Doug. I haven't tried that, but I will do it right now and see what happens. When I first noticed the suds, I did a rinse only cycle, but the suds were still there, not sure if "rinse only" releases rinse agent or not.
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Look under you sink where the drain hose connects to the garbage disposal or sink drain. The drain hose from the dishwasher must have a high loop in it to avoid draining back into washer. It hdoud loop up to the bottom side of counter top. Also good idea to unhook drain and look for any blockage.If hose isn't completely draining out you may be getting some soapy water coming back into the washer. Also have you just recently changed soap brands?

Jul 26, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Hi Doug. It made it worse, I had water and suds all over the kitchen floor, what a mess!! I opened the door several times during the wash cycles to check for suds and there weren't any. I don't know what's happening, everything has been fine for two years.
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 10:38 AM
    It done this with no detergent in it? Suds on the floor and no detergent in washer?

Jul 26, 2007, 02:14 PM
    Yes it did. Took me almost half an hour to clean it up. I think you're right when you say I could have a blockage. I went to the basement and felt the drain from the dishwasher and only part of it was hot, the rest cold. My dishwasher doesn't drain through the disposal, it drains directly beneath the dishwasher to the main drain.
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 02:50 PM
    Pull the drain hose off where it connects to the main drain and check it.
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 03:12 PM
    Have you tried pulling the screen out of the bottom inside of washer and see if you are clogged there?

Jul 27, 2007, 10:05 AM
    Hi Doug, just got back online. I unscrewed the bottom wash arm and had a look at the screen and it's clear of "crud". What I tried last night and this morning was starting it with no Cascade, letting it run for a minute and then cancelling the whole thing. I tried this a couple of times and it seems to be getting better. Also turned the knob for the rinse agent to "0", so no rinse agent is dispensed. I had to have the rinse agent dispenser replaced about two months ago as it wasn't working at all, I now think it's working overtime. The drain pump is working correctly as there is no water left in the bottom of the dishwasher, I think if there were a blockage, there would be water in the bottom of the DW . I had a big family party last weekend and several people were loading the DW, I have a sneaky feeling that someone put dishwashing soap in it and not dishwasher detergent. I'll keep you posted for the newest developments to my dishwasher dilemna. Joan
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2007, 12:30 PM
    If dishwashing soap was put in it does make an alful sudsy mess. I had that to happen with mine once.

Jul 28, 2007, 06:23 AM
    Good morning Doug. I used the dishwasher last night and put it on a "normal" wash, using the correct amount of Cascade in the detergent cups. Everything was just fine until the final rinse and then I got the foam again. I think that the problem is the rinse agent dispenser adding too much Jet Dry into the final rinse. My other thought is that the city water quality has changed recently (softer water) and that could be the problem. I will have to call the city water department to inquire. I also am going to add just plain water to the rinse dispenser hoping to dilute what remains in there a bit. It might help, sure won't hurt.
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2007, 06:38 AM
    Yes, I suggest taking the rinse agent out and see if that makes a difference. I never use that stuff any way. Where I live we have very good water. I've lived in different cities and states but this is the very best I've seen.
    Jgerhard Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2011, 05:04 PM
    Our Mayag dishwasher is not getting our dishes and silverware clean. It seems to leave them with a soapy crust. We have run the dishwasher without any Cascade complete in the dispenser. We still have soap suds in the bottom of the dishwasher after 10 minutes of auto washing. We have run at least 10 cycles on auto wash without any soap and still have suds in the bottom. We put vinegar in the dishwasher at our vendors request ran a ycle and still soapy crust on our items. They also sold us a product called Dishwasher magic and ran that through. Still have suds in the dishwasher when we ran the next cycle. PLEASE HELP ANY SUGGESTIONS?? We've had this Maytag for approximately 10 years and it has always performed very well.
    Thanks for your prompt attention,

Jim Gerhard
    [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag Washer having suds backing up [ 54 Answers ]

Can anyone let me know what to do? I have a new maytag (toploader) washing machine that has been working fine for 5 months. Last week, I noticed suds backing up from the drain area (where the pipe empties water and suds into the wall). There are only suds spewing out, no water. I called Maytag and...

Suds Backflow into Washer? [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible that suds or drainage water from another condo unit could backflow into our washing machine? The condo has had plumbing issues since the builder used too small of pipes and the use of too much laundry detergent from the owners causes the sinks to overflow with detergent suds. They...

Suds backup in kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

I live in an apartment house. 189 families and 7 floors. I am in the 05 line,#205. I have complained to the super who is #105 ground floor. My kitchen sink backs up and his sink backs up worse. He checked the apts in the line and he claims one apt 605 hides the washing machine apods he comes up....

Suds in the toilet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have been reading several of your post and a lot of them are helpful but I want to get specific on my trouble. My master bath is about 15 feet from the washing machine. Our machine overflowed about a month ago and we thought it was going out (10 yrs old) so we bought a new one. Now, when...

View more questions Search