Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DjSweet1515 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 02:16 PM
    Unlawful entry of landlord
    Hi, I live with two other college students in a 3 bedroom apartment, in California. We know we have a creepy landlord because he owns the building across the street and we have seen him go through their trash and gutters, but recently something very wrong in my opinion happened. My roommate came home and found our front door wide open, once he got inside he say the landlord inside, who immediately stated he was there to fix the heater. Now, previously he gave us 24 hour notice in written form to let use know he was going to inspect the heater. Not this time, there was no notice, and he said he attempted to call but none of us received a call from him. This only worries me because there was some "pipe" and such laying around the house. We have never received a complaint from anyone, and are on good terms with all our neighbors. What if any legal recourse could unfold from the events as they happened. Am I correct under the assumption that A:this is an illegal entry and anything he found inside is invalid,
    B: we should note this incident to ensure we have documentation of this illegal entry.
    Just confused and worried thanks.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 02:28 PM
    Ddi you make a request for him to come and fix the heater? Does your lease state he can come in for repairs when no one is home? If he just showed up without anyone making a maintenance request and no one received a phone call (which is easy to verify) then I would say he made an illegal entry.

Do you have a tenants rights association where you live? Or a housing authority? You need to find your legal grounds. Here are a couple sites for tenant rights in CA. Good luck to you.

Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections: California
    California Tenant Law - Free legal advice for California renters
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DjSweet1515
    Am I correct under the assumption that A:this is an illegal entry and anything he found inside is invalid,
    Hello Dj:

You are INCORRECT. The Constitution protects you from the COPS making an illegal search. It doesn't protect you from landlords searching you. Any evidence he turns over to the cops CAN be used against you. Hopefully, the cops won't bust you even if he does snitch you off. I don't think a pipe will get them excited, though - unless it was a meth or crack pipe. That might disturb them.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unlawful detainer-VA [ 1 Answers ]

Tomorrow I am going to the court house to file a UD. I do have a couple of questions since it is my first time going through this process. I am going to declare the unpaid rent for July, but can I also include the unpayment for August since the court date will be held in a few weeks? If I can not...

Unlawful entry and stolen property [ 3 Answers ]

On April 25 I went to court with my landlord. We came to an agreement that I would move out in a month which was May 25. I did not move until June 2nd. I started moving on June 1st. I kept all communication open with my landlord. I told her on June 1st when she saw me with a uhaul truck that I...

Landlord notice of entry in KY [ 10 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I stumbled across it while goggling for the answer to my question. Here is the situation. My brother and sister-in-law are having a lot of problems with their landlord. They have been under lease for almost a year now. The lease expires in June and they have...

Landlord entry and more [ 11 Answers ]

The state of Arizona requires 48 hour notice before a landlord can enter an apartment. Today when I got home from work I found that without notice my apartment had been entered. I had no prior knowledge to the managments intentions to enter my apartment. No notice sent no anything. When I...

Unlawful detainer [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine went to court for unlawful detainer. The case was dismissed. Does that mean if he tries to get another place it may possibly show up.

View more questions Search