Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thehamlet1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 08:23 PM
    3 phase 230 volt panel
    I have a 3 phase 230 volt 3 wire panel that has a 120, 120 & 208 volts phase to ground and 230, 230, & 230 phase to phase.The AC guy came and installed a new 208/230 volt 3 phase unit. He measured above voltages and told me since one of the voltages is 208 we have to fix that problem first. Do you think he is right ?
    As far as I know since the unit is 3 phase 208/230 volt, we should be OK, could you please advice?

Thanks

Hamlet
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 02:46 AM
    While the unit is rated 208/230 volts, what the tech seems to be reading is a voltage imbalance, which the motor can not take too much.

A 3 phase panel should have 120 volts from each phase to neutral, and 208 volts across each phase to phase. Where is the 230 volts coming from? You may have a delta system with a high voltage leg. Is the center leg in the panel marked with orange color?

The power source to this panel needs to be investigated because something seems not right. Is this right from a service or is there a transformer in the building feeding this panel?

Jul 24, 2007, 06:24 AM
    This comes from city and there are another 3 phase machines are already there working.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Contact the city to learn what the nominal voltage supplied should be. The combination of 208 and 230 volts in one service entrance is very odd. Have them come out and verify the voltage supplied is proper.

Jul 24, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

110 volt versus 220 volt mini heat pump [ 6 Answers ]

I have enclosed my screened porch to create more living space(Florida Room). I am using a single zone mini split ductless heat pump for heating and cooling. It has been calculated that I need a 12,000 BTU unit. However, most of these units are available in 110 volts and 220 volts. The 220 models...

New 250 volt circuit, no grounding bar in main panel [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have searched for this answer but I can't find a clear answer for a rookie. I am adding a 250v/20amp circuit to my main panel for a window air conditioner. I have a newer Murray main panel that was installed by an electrician, but its an old house and all the outlets are 2 prong type. So I...

3 phase 208 volt/120 volt .load [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to hook up a commercial espresso machine which has a 220 line. My existing electrical box is a 3 phase 208 volt/120 volt. Would this be sufficient to handle this?? Thank you

Wiring my garage for a 230 VAC single phase welder [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to wire a 220 outlet for my 230VAC single phase welder in my garage I have a 60a double breaker is it as simple as black and white w/ red stripe wires to breaker and green to ground? Thanks for any help

Replacing a 240 volt outlet with a 120 volt oulet [ 1 Answers ]

We've switched to a central air conditioning system and no longer need the 240 volt outlet by the dining room window. The house was built in 1928, updated in 1957, and again a couple of ad hoc times thereafter. The wiring is at times very old, brand new or somewhat old. My guess is that the 240...

View more questions Search