Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    infomorocco Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 07:59 AM
    How to verify if someone has legal citizenship?
    My brother is dating a girl from Morocco. She currently lives in the US and my brother wants to marry her only after a short period. My family and I think she is using him in order to become a US citizen, but we do not know how to prove if she is already. She has only been in the US for one year. She has a sister here who has a daughter and I believe a husband. How can we verify if the girlfriend is legal or not? :confused:
    umakantadash Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 08:36 AM
    Ask the person for a document showing indentification authority. Where his/her photograph is duly signed and attested and a birth certificate.

Jul 23, 2007, 08:49 AM
    I know she has a passport because I seen it, but I do not have a relationship with her now because I accused her already of using my brother and I refuse to speak to her. I was wondering if someone knew how I could contact the immigration authorities to verify with them the status of her being in the us.. any info would be helpful.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by umakantadash
    ask the person for a document showing indentification authority. where his/her photograph is duly signed and attested and a birth certificate.
    She doesn't have the right to demand to see someone's immigration papers.

You could call ICE and ask but do you know her full name and address? Basically you leave a message and they call back unless you want to hold. They must get so many calls that they probably won't answer you or even look her up if you get someone on the line. It's really up to you, your brother is an adult and if he gets used to get her a green card there is nothing you can do about it. He will have to learn on his own, there are too many illegals for them to care about one case.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 12:14 PM
    If she has a US passport she has to be a citizen. In order to get a passport you have to show proof of US residence.
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Jul 23, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by infomorocco
    I know she has a passport because I seen it, but I do not have a relationship with her now because I accused her already of using my brother and I refuse to speak to her. I was wondering if someone knew how I could contact the immigration authorities to verify with them the status of her being in the us.. any info would be helpful.
    If she has a US passport she is a US citizen. Only US citizens have US passports unless of course they are faked but probably not in this case.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 01:22 PM
    She said the person had a passport, not a US passport. But if she did indeed mean this girl has a US passport then your right and there is nothing she can do except dislike the girl.

Jul 24, 2007, 06:08 AM
    She has a passport but it is not a US passport. My brother tends to think she already has a green card because he said he saw it, its an actual green card with her picture on it. But she has only been here for one year this month. Is it possible to obtain a green card so quickly in less than a year's time?
    I know my brother is an adult, but he was built in the stupid factory so I have to look out for him, he is too stupid.
    I appreciate any replys regarding this. He is moving her in with him next week. My plan was to try verify her status before she gets pregnant because then she becomes a US citizen immediately because of the child, correct?
    Is it also true that foreigners can go to college here in the US for free?
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Yes she could get it in a year, maybe she has family that sponsored her to become a permanent resident. Just to clarify you said she has a green card, so many people think it's actually an id card that is green. An actual "green card" is not green, it looks like a drivers license.

In any case, it's hard to know, like I said you can call US immigration and ask but they may not give you any info, it's worth a try is you really want to know.
    Guest Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 4, 2008, 07:31 AM
    How to find out if a green card is valid
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 4, 2008, 01:05 PM
    After 9/11, only individuals with legal status can obtain SSN and state issued driver's license, which means only permanent residents and work visa holders can apply.

Foreign students and dependents other non-immigrant visa holders cannot obtain SSN, but are allowed to get driver's license.

If she obtained her green card on family based category, i.e. petitioner is father/mother, she already had her green card issued by the time she arrived in US.

Even if she is out of status, there is no law prohibited her from getting married. Her husband can file petition for immigrant visa for her.

In my opinion, he is a grown up, if he is eligible to file petition for her without asking you or other family members to sign as joint-sponsor for her immigrant visa, let him do it.
    MaidMarian807 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2011, 11:23 PM
    I am an immigrant. I have been a permanent resident alien for 45 years. Just residing here will not get me a US Passport, only PROOF OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP will. Green cards used to be a blue-green color though I don't know if that's why they are called green cards. Having a child or being married to an American citizen also doesn't grant a person citizenship but does give them a better chance at getting a green card. I have 3 American born children, an American husband and both my parents are U.S. citizens. I am still a German citizen because of circumstances that kept me from getting my citizenship. But my heart is red, white and blue, through and through.
    morad52 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2012, 01:26 PM
    Tell your brother to stay a way from Moroccan girls
    morad52 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2012, 01:28 PM
    Tell you brother to stay a way from Moroccan girls
    guest 23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2012, 12:47 PM
    My daughter needs to find if the boyfriend who is the father of her children is a illegal citizenship.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Verify a SSN that isn't yours [ 1 Answers ]

How can I verify that social security number belongs to a specific individual. ... without subscribing to a service

Verify employment? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I received a call at my mothers house from a collection agency, the woman was yelling at my mother because she said I didn't live there (which I do not) the woman said put her on the phone right now I have the right number. In the end of the big argument the woman told my mother she...

Legal Ways of Determining US Citizenship [ 7 Answers ]

Are there any legal ways of determining if an employee is a US citizen and/or able to work in the US prior to hiring on the application?

How can you know if employer will verify? [ 3 Answers ]

Is there any way to tell in advance whether an employer will attempt to verify an applicant's education/degrees? Is there a standard for this practice, particularly among municipal employers?

View more questions Search