Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    efuller Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Walking distance for a 12 week old lab puppy
    I'm walking my 12 week old yellow lab puppy regularly, but just short distances. I'm wondering what is an appropriate distance for the puppy.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2007, 11:16 AM
    I don't think a mile or 2 would hurt. Don't force it. It should still be small enough to pick up and carry if it gets tired. Do try to stay out of areas that might be contaminated by poorly cared for, diseased dogs. Avoid hot pavement and make sure it has plenty of water and wet it down if it seems hot.

See the sticky for more new puppy info at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802
    hettie Posts: 71, Reputation: 8

Jul 19, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Hi there over here in good old blighty the kennel club suggest o
    Minuite walk for each week of the puppies life as many times a day as you need to take it out i.e. after meals or walking up I reckon a mile or two may set it up for lameness in the future. Also if you start to pick it up and carry it when it gets tired it will always expect this not so funny with a full growm animal. Good luck with the puppy I hope it brings you many years of joy
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2007, 06:20 PM
    I was thinking a mile or 2 may be longer than I usually walk a 12 week old, but I have expensive experience, I am talking over a dozen puppies, taking puppies for long walks from 7 weeks, carrying them when needed. None of them have ever wanted to be carried after they were too big, and as for my Aster needing anti pain pills now, I highly doubt walking her less in 1993 would have avoided it. All my puppies have been X-rayed at a year old, and been OFA good or better. I have lost contact with many of them, but none of the ones I know of has had to quit as dog guides prematurely due to joint problems or refusing to walk. I also know dozens of others with the same experience. Spare me speculative criticism.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

4 week lab puppy [ 1 Answers ]

Our 4 week old lab puppy's nose is very dry, is this normal?

My 9 week old Lab puppy [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Of corse I think I have the cuteset puppy in the world and yes I fawn over him ALL the time he is never left alone inless he has to be he gose to the store with us he basicaLy gose every where with us. But all he really wants to do is bite us or tear something up. At this point I have no...

Lab puppy draining me [ 5 Answers ]

I have had all sorts of dogs before, including labs. This puppy (approx 14 weeks) is soooo destructive. We live on quite a bit of property, so I have had to keep her mostly outside due to her distructiveness. I know that she is quite smart, as she can get her teeth on anything. She has been...

Puppy resistant to walking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a puppy approximately 14 weeks old. He is resistant to walking. He doesn't seem to have any particular fears to anything, however he grabs the lead in his mouth, refuses to walk, won't leave the yard, etc. When I try to get him to go he becomes somewhat aggressive and tries to bite my feet,...

Lab puppy question [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 8 week old lab puppy. Many days she can go to work with me but some days she has to stay home. I live alone so she can't be supervised. I'm working on crate training her (for house training and the general "create a safe haven for the puppy" thing). I can get home at lunch and then...

View more questions Search