Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ahsh Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Getting the top of your ear pierced.
    I am thinking of having it done this Wednesday but I am going on holiday the following Thursday to palm springs in LA and I want to be able to swim so I was wondering if anyone knows if you can swim when you have just had it pierced and what the side-effects might be if I did.

Thanks
    victoria_mitchell Posts: 242, Reputation: 32

Jul 19, 2007, 12:36 PM
    You can always swim with new piercings. The clorine in the water will help heal it and there will be no negative side affects at all.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Swimming pools are filled with nasty bacteria that is NOT good for a fresh piercing. Victoria is right about the chlorine not having any bad side effects, but just think about this. A fresh piercing is an open wound until it heals. There are so many different bodies constantly in pools, and you never know what has been done in them.

Would you want to expose an open wound to somewhere you have no idea what went on before? Its really not a good idea, but if you do, make sure you clean it really well with anti-bacterial soap after you get out.

Jul 19, 2007, 01:25 PM
    All I know is that my sister who has the farest whiteest softest skin has NEVER had a problem with putting a piercing in water ESPECIALLY a pool and myself on the other end of the spectrum I have dark normal skin and I too have NEVER had a problem with a new piercing, and neither has anyone I have ever known. Even if it did get infected how bad is it honestly going to be? I would say the chances of it getting infected or anything is 1 in 100 and aren't you willing to take that chance to have a good time? I would.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2007, 01:34 PM
    It doesn't matter how fair or dark your skin is. It is a matter of bacteria. Cartilage infections can get pretty bad.

I never said don't have a good time over it, but like I said before, if you do choose to swim, clean it really well with anti-bacterial soap after getting out of the pool.
    Kitschxbang Posts: 21, Reputation: 3

Jul 23, 2007, 03:52 AM
    Perhaps the simplest thing would be to say if you get it done, still go swimming, but try to avoid putting your new piercing in direct contact with the water (like submerging your head for example). I had my ear pierced in the same place you're thinking of and never had a problem swimming directly afterwards, infections are usually easy to treat, however you can never be too careful. Just make sure you follow the hygiene and maintenance instructions after you get it done. :)
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 04:10 AM
    I asked my (multiple pierced) friend and she says it will sting like nothing else so maybe to not swim will be best. Nauticalstar is right though swimming pools are filthy! People wee/spit/shed in them - think about that. Yuck do you want that in you?

Anyway why don't you hold off getting it done until after your holiday? Or is it too late...

Jul 23, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Thanks for all your views I have decided to put it off till after to be on the safe side.

Thanks again

:)
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 10:15 AM
    Good luck and have fun on holiday :)
    firediva87 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by victoria_mitchell
    You can always swim with new piercings. As a matter of fact the clorine in the water will help heal it and there will be no negative side affects at all.
    That's completely wrong. If you get your ear pierced you're not supposed to swim for about a month, or until it's completely healed. Swimming in public places carries a lot of germs and it will probably get infected. My hear is pierced there and although it hurt at first I am now able to lie on it without any pain but that took a few months. Also be careful with your hair cause it can get caught on the earing and pull at the piercing.

Jul 24, 2007, 04:49 PM
    In light of this post I have decided that it is time to re-pierce my belly button; and due to this I will demonstrate this theory or assumption I have and put it to the test. Next week I will pierce my belly button and go in the pool everyday for one week to see if anything happens to it. I will let you know how it works out
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by victoria_mitchell
    In light of this post I have decided that it is time to re-pierce my belly button; and due to this I will demonstrate this theory or assumption I have and put it to the test. Next week I will pierce my belly button and go in the pool everyday for one week to see if anything happens to it. I will let you know how it works out
    Cartilage piercings and navel piercings are very different. Cartilage piercings are MUCH more prone to infection. :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 05:02 PM
    firediva87 disagrees: Not true the belly buttin gets rubbed on my shirts and can easily be ripped out and infected
    I was talking about as far as bacteria and chemicals. Your cartilage is a much more sensitve tissue than your navel. Thanks.

Jul 25, 2007, 03:29 AM
    Lol go for it! It will be interessing to see what happens. I have my belly pierced but it doesn't catch on my trouser but sometimes gets caught if I'm being tightly hugged by someone when I'm wearing a dangly one!

Jul 25, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    Cartilage piercings and navel piercings are very different. Cartilage piercings are MUCH more prone to infection. :)

Enlight of this as well I will pierce BOTH I think it will be fun to see what unfolds... Plus I have been meaning to do this anyway... :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bump on Top of Inside of Ear [ 10 Answers ]

I've noticed a bump on the top of the insiode of my ear. It's right where the cartalige curves at the top. It feels a bit squishy (like it's got fluid in it) when squeezed gently. It doesn't hurt except when I wake up because of sleeping on it. Any ideas what it could be or what is causing it? I...

Ear popped and now I can't hear out of my ear at all [ 7 Answers ]

I was wresteling with my kids and husband and we fell to the ground and I popped my ear pretty good and it started hurting went to the beach and got some salt water in my left ear and it was pretty excruating I had to get out of the ocean I went to sleep and when I woke up I couldn't hear out of my...

Is getting my ears pierced safe with scar tissue in one ear lobe? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a small lump of scar tissue from clip-on earrings in my right ear lobe. I am interested in getting my ears pierced, but I don't know if it will be safe. I am concerned about the earring going through or touching the scar tissue. It feels like a small, firm sphere inside my ear lobe. I don't...

Bump on the back of my daughter's newly pierced ear [ 8 Answers ]

About six weeks ago my daughter got her ears pierced. She was doing perfectly well with them and was taking care of them beautifully. She spent the weekend with her grandparents and now has a flat somewhat painful bump on the back of one of her ears. What is this and how can we fix it?

Can I back up my desk top onto my lap top? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a desk top and a lap top which have wireless connection to the internet. My lap top has no ethernet port and my desk top has no infra red. Can you suggest how I can use my lap top to back up my desk top? Would USB to USB work?

View more questions Search