Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anticuchos Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2006, 06:49 AM
    What is hotter, the boiling water or the steam?
    What is hotter, the boiling water or the steam?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2006, 11:39 AM
    I think at the surface they would be the same, but as the steam rises it, of course, cools.
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Jan 8, 2006, 12:41 PM
    First of all, thank you for posting your question to the Ask Me Help Desk! This can be a somewhat tricky concept so let me begin with a little background information with which you may already be familiar.

The boiling point of water is 100 degrees Celsius. At this temperature the water will begin to change from the liquid state to the gas state. In order for this change to take place, additional energy is required. In fact, every gram of liquid water requires 540 calories of heat energy just to convert it to steam. This is called the Heat of Vaporization. During the conversion process, temperature does not increase. It is, therefore, possible to have both liquid water and steam that exist at 100 degrees Celsius. While they both would exist at the same temperature, the steam would have a lot more heat energy due to the additional 540 calories per gram of heat energy that has been absorbed.

This is why steam burns are worse than the water burns.

The temperature of steam can continue to rise well above 100 degrees Celsius if it is contained and additional heat energy continues to be added but the water in liquid form will not go above 100 degrees as long as it does not have any impurities in it and assuming that standard pressure remains constant.

I hope that this information was useful to you.
    jadedhills Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2006, 11:51 PM
    Water only boils at 100 degrees At Sea Level steam is water with more energy in it so it is hotter than boiling water, (superheated water) also steam is far more likely to scald dangerously, it is as steam condenses that it releases energy. And starts to cool and condence
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Feb 22, 2006, 06:28 PM
    It is important that we are careful with our use of words like "hotter" or "colder". These are words of comparison relative to another substance, not words of measurement. Steam has more heat energy than liquid water but not necessarily a higher temperature.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Feb 22, 2006, 09:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rudi_in
    It is important that we are careful with our use of words like "hotter" or "colder". These are words of comparison relative to another substance, not words of measurement. Steam has more heat energy than liquid water but not necessarily a higher temperature.
    it take about 142 BTU to bring 1 pound of water to 212F, but it take about 970 BTU to turn 1 pound of water into 212f steam...
    makdan Posts: 46, Reputation: 3

Jul 18, 2007, 04:42 PM
    Regarding augustknight's comment: Actually, water, steam, and ice can all co-exist at a single temperature -- the so-called triple-point, but I don't remember what temperature and pressure this occurs at.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2007, 10:26 PM
    The triple point of water is at 273.16K and 0.006 atm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why make an opening on a potato when boiling? [ 3 Answers ]

Why do people slice an opening on the potato when boiling it? Some poke a hole.

HELP- boiling eggs [ 3 Answers ]

I know its supposed to be the easiest thing to make, but I have incredible difficulty boiling eggs! What gives?? They either turn out not cooked enough, or the water evaporates, or the eggs explode in the water! Please help, I have tried every thing and the eggs never turn out right. What's the...

Floor tile over steam pipe? [ 3 Answers ]

I had a steam radiator relocated in a bathrom that is being renovated. The plumber ran a copper pipe to the radiator, leaving so little clearance above it that the ceramic floor tile will be touching the pipe directly. Is that OK? WIll the tile crack as the pipe heats up with steam? Thanks,

Self Esteem [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I hope you can help me in this, How can I improve the self esteem in someone I really care about, He is having some difficulties facing the life because of that . Thank you Sara :confused: Hi I post this Q? Few days go ,and till now I did not get any reply, I really hope that...

Smelly sink-dont use boiling water!Bad advice [ 3 Answers ]

HI, I just tried a method of getting rid of a smelly bathroom sink by adding 1/2 gal of bleach, letting it sit overnite, and then flushing it with boiling water. To my surprise and total dissapointment, my $500 pedestal sink cracked in half due to the hot water! No one ever mentioned anything about...

View more questions Search