Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CakeLady Posts: 52, Reputation: 6

Jul 10, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Onion odor in plastic container?
    I have a huge plastic container that I used last weekend to take a 7-layer salad to church in. Now it smells like onion, and the smell won't come out with soap/water and or bleach.

It's new and it's huge---or I'd just buy another one.

I've heard you can place some dampened crumpled newspaper inside to take out the smell. Anyone with OTHER suggestions?

Thanks,
    --Cake--
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 08:51 PM
    Plastic absorbs smells very easily! Try filling it with water and place a steel ball, anything steel, inside of it for a few hours. Steel is great for absorbing odors; they even sell steel bars of "soap" for your hands!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 17, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Solution of 3 parts vinegar and l part water, let sit for 24 hours, drain and rinse well with fresh water a couple of times
    Answer Expert Posts: 15, Reputation: 4

Jul 17, 2007, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CakeLady
    I have a huge plastic container that I used last weekend to take a 7-layer salad to church in. Now it smells like onion, and the smell won't come out with soap/water and or bleach.

It's new and it's huge---or I'd just buy another one.

I've heard you can place some dampened crumpled newspaper inside to take out the smell. Anyone with OTHER suggestions??

Thanks,
    --Cake--
    Dry crumpled newspaper or grass clippings both will remove the odor.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 17, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Clean kitty litter?
    starcrush Posts: 109, Reputation: 2

Nov 17, 2008, 08:50 AM

I use ajax when cleaning out plastic containers I rub it in there then take dish washing liguid and clean it or you can let the ajax cleanser soak in for a while then clean it
    CakeLady Posts: 52, Reputation: 6

Feb 4, 2009, 10:45 PM

I've found two definite answers to this question that really work very well!

One is placing the container in direct, HOT sunlight for a couple days. Like in a very hot car or window where the sun stays for a long time each day. Smell came right out, like it was never there.

Same thing for the crumpled up newspaper. That works wonders, in a couple days also---and it doesn't matter whether it is in sunlight or not, although the extra "heat" from the sun on the newspapers does seem to speed up the process.

Hope this helps someone!

--Cake Lady

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foul smell in front entrance to home-onion smell [ 6 Answers ]

A really weird smell, like rotten onions, quite embarrassing because my home is kept spotless everyone comments on the smell right when they walk into the house. There is a shower stall in a bedroom above this entrance but we have snaked it and poured drain cleansers down it and also stopped using...

Open container case [ 1 Answers ]

The case: Over the weekend of March 16-18 a friend and I were placed under arrest and served 2 days in the county jail for Open containers. We were originally pulled over for failure to stop which was questionable because we stopped but apparently it wasn't for the 5 count and the officer...

Refrigerator odor caused by melted plastic [ 1 Answers ]

Accidentally dropped plastic spatula in dishwasher and it melted can't get odor out of appliance. What do you do?

Plastic surgery [ 2 Answers ]

I have been doing a lot of research on plastic sergery in Brazil. The dr. I have been talking to seems really great but I don't know him and Brazil is a long ways from the U.S.A. I have seen his before and after pictures and they look amazing and I have done a lot of work in losing 140 lbs and I...

Plastic moulding [ 6 Answers ]

What are the bits of plastic that are cut off and disgarded after the moulding process? I think it's a word like scree or scrag?

View more questions Search