Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Robertthea Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 09:55 AM
    Connecting large gauge aluminum wire to service panel
    I've completed a beautifully (inspector approved) installation of a new 200 amp service panel to my home (upgraded from 100 amp). I have now strung a 0/0 underground aluminum cable in sched. 80 conduit from my barn to the main panel to connect a sub-panel in my barn to this new 200 amp panel.

How do I connect this rather large wire to the service panel? The heavy wire is too large for the existing neutral/ground bar. I assume there are breakers specifically for large wire like this? Are there lugs that can be installed on the neutral/ground bar for large wire?

Also, would it be feasible to run the large cable to a cut-off panel before going to the main panel, and then running smaller copper (#3) to the main panel?
    Robertthea Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertthea
    I've completed a beautifully (inspector approved) installation of a new 200 amp service panel to my home (upgraded from 100 amp). I have now strung a 0/0 underground aluminum cable in sched. 80 conduit from my barn to the main panel to connect a sub-panel in my barn to this new 200 amp panel.

How do I connect this rather large wire to the service panel? The heavy wire is too large for the existing neutral/ground bar. I assume there are breakers specifically for large wire like this? Are there lugs that can be installed on the neutral/ground bar for large wire?

Also, would it be feasable to run the large cable to a cut-off panel before going to the main panel, and then running smaller copper (#3) to the main panel?
    Oops. I mean a 4 guage aluminum (about the size of my pinky), not 0 guage as I said above. Nontheless, I'm looking for ideas on how to connect this large wire into a standard 200 amp panel.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2007, 02:48 AM
    The 200 amp panel should have lugs that will accept #4 wire. The line and neutral lugs are large enough to accept up to #4/0, maybe even 250 MCM wire, which al both much larger than #4. The neutral bar and equipment ground bar should have a couple of #4 lugs/ports for #4 wire.

If not, the panel manufacturer will offer an optional #4 lug that can be easily added to the neutral or equipment ground bar.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting 3 wire to a 4 wire service panel [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to connect from a 3 wire system at the utility pole to a 4 wire service panel inside a new mobile home. I called an electrician for some advice and was told that I needed to drive an 8ft ground stake and attach a solid copper wire from the stake to the ground bar in the panel. Then I...

Sub panel feed wire gauge [ 1 Answers ]

I am adding a sub panel to a new garage addition. New 125 amp panel with a double 50 amp breaker in the existing panel. The new sub panel will be 75 feet from the existing main panel. My concern is the correct wire gauge because of the length of the run. The cable will be inside underfloor then in...

Do I need anti-oxidant coating for Aluminum service cable into a SquareD panel [ 1 Answers ]

The 1/0 AL cable from the meter comes into the 200A SquareD panel. I just installed this new panel replacing an old Federal pacific panel. The SquareD panel accepts either CU or AL cable. While connecting the AL cable to the main lugs on the panel, do I need any anti-oxidant coating on the cable?...

Using Aluminum Cable for 100 Sub Panel [ 2 Answers ]

I'm going to be installing a 100A sub panel in my garage and need about 125 feet of cable. The price of aluminum is about 1/3 of copper so I'm just wondering what needs to be done differently when installing aluminum vs copper? Is it worth the hassel and/or risk? Thanks in adance! Pete

Wire at the service panel [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a GEŽ 30" Free-Standing Electric Range(JBS55WK/CK/BK). It can use a 3 or 4-WIRE CONDUIT INSTALLATION plug from the range to the outlet. I have a double braker space available at the service panel. I have installed brakers into the panel for outlets and lights and then had them...

View more questions Search