Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trbarber Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Strange smell coming from underneath bathroom cabinet
    After we remodeled our children's upstairs bathroom, it backs up to the attic, we had new insulation put in. This summer there is a terrible musty smell. I tried putting damp-rid products underneath cabinet to help the smell but the smell has intenisified! Help
    Also, the insulation in the garage has a dead smell! It is an unfinshed garage with the ceiling open. I can actually see the insulation.
    What can I do?
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 12, 2007, 05:17 PM
    There could be a slow water leak that incurred during installation, and has now encouraged mold growth. Have you smelled mold before and does it smell like it?

XenoSapien

Jul 12, 2007, 06:18 PM
    I see no signs of a leak? Mold ? What would it smell like?

Jul 12, 2007, 06:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by XenoSapien
    There could be a slow water leak that incurred during installation, and has now encouraged mold growth. Have you smelled mold before and does it smell like it?

XenoSapien
    I see no signs of a leak. Mold? What would this smell Like?
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Jul 12, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Hi, I'm brand new, but saw your question before I introduced myself. This definitely sounds like a mold problem. Mold is best described as "musty." If you have ever been in a locker room where you really have to wear shower shoes that smell is mold.

Unfortunately, it can be a very costly problem. When plumbing or remodeling is done improperly (leaks in walls, the wrong type of dry wall, etc.), then mold can grow. If it is just under the cabinet, then it is a good idea to have the cabinet removed, and to see if there is any mold growth. If there is, then bleach will kill it. If it's a lot of mold, then the insulation and dry wall will need to be removed and replaced.

If it is a really costly problem, then you may want to seek legal advice.

Jul 12, 2007, 06:33 PM
    GoldieMae is right. Try to find it yourself before the ugly monetary solution.

XenoSapien
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 12, 2007, 07:12 PM
    You might try removing the kick plate of the cabinet and looking inside with a flashlight. Youe stop cocks may be weeping down the wall, it does sound like mold. Once it is dried a repaired you should use fresh bleach or mildecide to kill it.

Jul 12, 2007, 07:34 PM
    Foster's is good for mold, too.

XenoSapien

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smell coming up from bathroom sink. [ 1 Answers ]

Our bathroom sink smells like sewer when we run water down it. I know the trap is full because we use this sink every day. We have to keep the drain closed and run a sink full of water before we can open the drain and use the sink. What is causing this problem? Could our vent be plugged? It...

Smell coming from cold water in sink and bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I have spent a lot of money on my plumbing problem and still don't have an answer. We added a 2bedroom 1 bath addition onto our house. About a month after we started using the addition we began to have a sewer smell coming from the cold water. We removed alloy rod from water heater just in...

Fixing Bathroom Cabinet [ 3 Answers ]

We have the task of fixing a bathroom cabinet weighing 16lbs to a tiled, plasterboard bathroom wall. The cabinet is supported at the four corners using metal slotted holes inset into the back of the cabinet. The screw heads pass into the holes and then the cabinet is lowered a short way so That...

Sewage smell coming from vanity cabinet area... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi... I'm new here. I know that similar questions like this have been posed here before, but I'm still confused about my situation... We just bought a house a few months ago. It's a modular. Ever since we bought the place, there has been a sewage odor coming from the master bath vanity cabinet....

View more questions Search