Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dresnick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Draining a washing machine into a sump pump hole/well
    I want to install a washing machine in my furnace/water tank room but there is no easy drain path. However there's a drain hole/"well" dug in the concrete floor (about 1.25 cubic feet) with a sump pump in the well and there's constantly a small bit of water in this well which the pump actively drains out every couple of days. It drains by pushing water out of the well and UP a pipe that likely leads into the sewer system (or possible city storm drains -- I'm not sure). Is it possible to drain a washing machine into this hole and then have the sump pump push the water out of the house? My biggest concerns are:
    1) Can you safely drain the washer into a well that has a sump pump?
    2) Will soap suds be a problem (either for the pump, the hole, or the pipe?)
    3) Will the amount of water from the washer overflow the 1.25 cubic foot drainage hole?
    Are there any other issues that I should be aware of, and will an energy efficient washer (i.e. less water) be a better choice?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 11, 2007, 02:35 PM
    This sounds like a bad idea. You need to know where the sump goes because it might not be to a city sewer, usually they don't. 1.25 cu. ft isn't much for a washer and the suds probably will bulge up and out of the sump.
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Jul 11, 2007, 05:28 PM
    Not to mention it's almost certainly illegal.. at least in most places

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine draining into sink! [ 2 Answers ]

When I run my waher, the kitchen sink fills up with soapy water! It does not overflow but almost! My washer is obviously not draining correctly! Please help!

Washing machine not draining completely [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My washing machine discharge is backing up a little bit. It's not the water itself but it is the soap. We're using just a tiny bit of soap at a time so it can't be too much soap. The discharge hose runs from washer, to almost the floor, into a 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe that is linked to the...

Sump pump backing up into washing machine drain [ 5 Answers ]

I just connected my new sump pump (1 1/2” line) to my vertical stack (2”). This is connected to the stack with a tee approximately 6-8” below where my washing machine tee. When my sump pump turned on, it back flowed out of my washing machine drain. What can I do to keep the water from coming out...

Washing Machine Draining Woes [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I recently purchased a home (built in 1968). When we ran our first load of laundry the drain backed up and our floor was covered in water. After talking to the previous owner and researching online, here is what we have tried and what we have noticed: 1. We snaked the vent on...

Basement washing machine w/o sump pump? [ 1 Answers ]

How high can a washing machine pump it's drain water out? We want to move our washing machine to the basement and wonder if we can get away without installing a sump pump.

View more questions Search