Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nkr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 05:00 PM
    Strange period or pregnancy?
    Not to sound like yet another woman asking some random question about her period, with the question "Could I be pregnant?" in the back of her head but I'm a little concerned. My period was supposed to start sometime between the 3rd and the 7th of this month (its been fluxuating alot). On the 3rd, I began having a light but consistent brown discharge. Not to be graphic, but it was enough to need a panty liner otherwise it was staining my panties, but not heavy enough to need pads or tampons. It didn't feel like my period; I've been a little tired and moody, but there has been no cramping, bloating, or major PMS (not that I get any major symptoms anyway, but this was even less than usual). At first, I just thought it was old blood like I've read about and my real period would start afterwards. However, it ended today (the 6th), and I haven't begun my period yet. Maybe I'm just being premature and it will start soon, but should I be concerned that I'm pregnant? (I say concerned because I'm only 21... ) The last time that I had sex was on the 11th or 12th of last month; I am not on the pill and we don't use condoms, just the "withdrawal method". We've only ever had one other scare in the past and I miscarried really, really early... back in March.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2007, 05:04 PM
    A brown discharge is common in early pregnancy. According to my Pregnancy and Childbirth book, the "Pull Out" method is only 15% effective, so it could be a strong possibility that you are pregnant. If you haven't taken a test yet, I would do so :)
    nkr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nkr
    Not to sound like yet another woman asking some random question about her period, with the question "Could I be pregnant?" in the back of her head but I'm a little concerned. My period was supposed to start sometime between the 3rd and the 7th of this month (its been fluxuating alot). On the 3rd, I began having a light but consistent brown discharge. Not to be graphic, but it was enough to need a panty liner otherwise it was staining my panties, but not heavy enough to need pads or tampons. It didn't feel like my period; I've been a little tired and moody, but there has been no cramping, bloating, or major PMS (not that I get any major symptoms anyway, but this was even less than usual). At first, I just thought it was old blood like I've read about and my real period would start afterwards. However, it ended today (the 6th), and I haven't begun my period yet. Maybe I'm just being premature and it will start soon, but should I be concerned that I'm pregnant? (I say concerned because I'm only 21...) The last time that I had sex was on the 11th or 12th of last month; I am not on the pill and we don't use condoms, just the "withdrawal method". We've only ever had one other scare in the past and I miscarried really, really early...back in March.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
    OK... thanks for answering. How soon do you think I should take pregnancy test? I usually expect my period no later than the 7th (and that's giving it a 4 day range). Today is the 9th... would it be too soon or could I get an accurate test? And should I try a home-test or just go to one of those "pregnancy crisis" clinics? (kind of sad... I used to volunteer at one. Never thought I'd ever be on the other end of the counter... )
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2007, 05:37 PM
    You can do either one. I would wait until you are about a week late to ensure an accurate reading :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clots, long period, strange [ 1 Answers ]

I do plan to see a dr, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience on this in the meantime. I have very irregular periods. Always have. PCOS too. Anyway, this period (which I posted on a few days ago) has been going on nearly 14 days now. Last night, and again tonight, I had 2 big...

Strange period and pain [ 1 Answers ]

So my last period came exactly when it was supposed to and it started normal. It is usually always heavy but into the 3rd day the bleeding seemed to almost stop, with very little bleeding to the point I thought it was about over. 2 days later it picked up again a bit heavier but nothing serious. ...

Strange period? [ 4 Answers ]

My period was three days late on the day it started it was spotting on tp only that night it got a little heavy but then next day barely on pad could have keep on the same one but gross to do that night a little heavy again, usually have period for three days then spot on the fourth day here it is...

Very Strange Period... Any Ideas? [ 2 Answers ]

I've always bled a bit heavy... and I've always had a few little blod clots come out during my period.. and some abdominal pain.. but this month has been weird. I woke up yesterday morning.. about 4 with HORRIBLE pain... and I was on the toilet for a whole hour it hurt that much, because if I laid...

Period Strange help! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Im 18 and I recently got the Deprovera shot, I'm getting married in April and me and my husband decided we don't want children for a few years. The problem I'm having is I started bleeding about a week and a half ago really light. And now its getting heavy and today I passed a light gray pink...

View more questions Search