Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twindad Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Duct collapse
    All right! :D Found the problem, now I need some guidance. I posted an earlier question about my unit running and cooling, but having little airflow. I have finally found the culprit - now I need some help fixing it.

I was looking at the blower thinking that was the problem, but happened to look past it into the return and the duct has collapsed on the inside (I was under the house earlier and the outside of the duct is fine). I hadn't noticed it before because every time I checked in there the unit had been off for some time and it had deflated - this morning I had the A/C running and turned it off to look at the blower, so it was almost immediate. The inner plastic lining has been blowing up like a diaphragm, covering the intake from the register. I do not want to try and make a permanent fix myself, but only want a temporary until a professional can fix it.

What can I do to keep the lining from blowing up in the duct? Can I try and poke another hole in it to let the air flow through it? I put a aluminum (paint roller) pole in to try and hold it down, but the force is so strong it still covers the duct. Any ideas fellas?

Thanks
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 12:01 PM
    I think you are talking about insulation inside medal duct? If any way possible I would just try to rip it out. If you can't reach it from inside unit you may have to remove a section of the duct or go to the spot were it is and cut hole in duct to get it out the put a patch where you opened it up
    twindad Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Thanks esquire1, actually it is the round flexible duct, so it's just the plastic on the inside of the duct (looks like a black trash bag). The blockage is just inside before it gets to the air handler, so looking through the unit past the blower, it is about seven feet away. I took a metal paint roller pole and taped a razorblade and a flashlight on the end. I reached in and cut a few slices in the plastic closest to me (the first hole should have been at least twelve to fifteen feet away from me, seeing where the inflating started). That was enough to release the pressure, and deflate the bag. We appear to have a good flow now. Still have a technician coming tomorrow to check some other things, but at least we have air upstairs now.

One more question, is it typical to only have a register in the downstairs in a two story home? Our Hvac guy was surprised there wasn't an air intake upstairs.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 01:51 PM
    I would want one up stairs. Glad you got things going. Not to hard to solve problems like these when you just dig in and do it, is it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC duct condensation [ 3 Answers ]

Air conditioning ducts to 2nd floor run between ceiling joist of 1st floor. Have developed water stains on ceiling.These stains are the result of Condensation forming on the ducts and leaking through the ceiling dry Wall. What needs to be done to stop this from happening....

Bookmarks - How to collapse the SubBookmark Tree [ 1 Answers ]

In Firefox I have many sub-bookmarks in the bookmark panel on the left of the Firefox screen. Frequently many of the sub-menus stay open or open when a new web page is opened. I know there is a quick way to collapse all the sub-menus without stepping through each one to do it.. How do I do it?

Vertical Collapse of Sharp 20AG2-S TV [ 1 Answers ]

Hi can somebody help me rectify this problem as I have no manual to correctly troubleshoot. Dry joints soldered TDA 8357J IC replaced still no change. Please help, Vision Worm

Flexi Duct vrs Aluminum Duct [ 4 Answers ]

I am adding an addition onto my house. The local building inspector has already told me my HVAC unit is more than adequate in size to support the addition. The old duct vents are aluminum. Can or should I use flexi venting in the new part? What are the pros and cons of these two types of vent...

View more questions Search