Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ruetz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2003, 12:00 PM
    Sometimes hot water isn't so hot
    I'm having a problem with my hot water: sometimes it's not so hot. When I take a shower, I like the water to be quite hot, and half the time it is fine. But roughly half of my mornings, the water is not as hot as I would like. This is odd, since I am always the first one to use the shower or hot water each day, so it's not as if someone else has used up the hot water. When this happens, I usually turn the cold water all the way off, and the water still is only lukewarm. Could this be a thermostat problem on my hot water heater? It's a gas heater, and not more than 10 years old.
    bushbob Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jan 21, 2003, 01:52 AM
    sometimes hot water isn't so hot
    It sounds like a gas valve problem. For starters, turn the gas valve all the way up to the hottest setting and see if this makes any difference. If the problem gets worse, call a plumber
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 30, 2003, 06:01 PM
    sometimes hot water isn't so hot
    Bob gave you good advice. Let me add to it. Do you flush out the mineral buildup on a regular basis? If not mineral buildup at the botton of the tank may be robbing you of hot water. To flush- attach a hose to the boiler drain located at the bottom of the tank. Now WITH THE WATER LEFT ON open the boiler drain. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white or yellow grains,(calcuim carbonate or lime). Leave it until the water runs clear. It will only take a few minutes. Do this on a regular basis and your heater will thank you for it. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water in shower but plenty of hot water at sink! [ 14 Answers ]

undefinedundefined Two days ago, both of the showers in my home stop having hot water. I have very hot water in the sinks in the bathrooms. The shower doesn't get but lukewarm. One showe in the spin dial to adjust the temp and turn on the shower. The other is a spin dial for temp and has a facet...

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Hot water venting into cold water tank [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I posted my query here a while back but unfortunately it appears to have been left to fester :confused: (query was hot water from cold water tap). After a couple more visits by a plumber, his view is that the hot water tank is overheating, venting hot water into the cold water tank at the...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

View more questions Search