Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brandy1943 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 07:52 AM
    Screeching Fluidmaster type 400 Float valve
    Hi
    About 8 months ago I fitted Fluidmaster type 400 Float valve to my toilet cistern.
    It has recently started to make a (loud) screeching noise at the start of the flush.
    Any thoughts on cause and cure.
    Cheers
    David:)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 5, 2007, 09:11 AM
    You probable have some debris getting caught in the valve diaphram. You can open it up and clean the diaphram. Let me know if you want more help. Speedball1 is great with this fix too, he has some great pics that can help.

Jul 6, 2007, 06:10 AM
    Good hit Ballenger.
    I dismantled the valve mechanism and gave it a thorough clean.
    It seems to have done the trick (for now).
    Thanks for your help.
    Cheers
    David
    FMTech Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy1943
    Hi
    About 8 months ago I fitted Fluidmaster type 400 Float valve to my toilet cistern.
    It has recently started to make a (loud) screeching noise at the start of the flush.
    Any thoughts on cause and cure.
    Cheers
    David:)
    Hi Brandy 1943, I work for Fluidmaster and came across your question. The answer is to remove the top cap assembly and flush out dirt and debris from yourwater system. I would not use any type of chemical cleaner, depending on the lubricant base it may harm the valve seal or other o'rings. For instructions on removing the top or any other toilet question please go to Fluidmaster and after going into our home page locate the menu bar and click onto the troubleshooting page. Their our frequently asked questions section should help answer most questions.

Mike Lagasse
    FMTech

Jul 9, 2007, 09:17 AM
    Hi FMTech
    Thanks for your response.
    I followed Ballengrb1's advice and cleaned the diaphram cap and then flushed the pipes before reassembling.
    This seemed to cure the problem.
    However. It came back (with a vengeance).
    I noticed that if I pressed on the rear of the diaphram cap that the noise stopped for as long as I kept the pressure on.
    I thought that this could indicate that the water pressure had increased to such an extent that it was lifting the rear of the cap and causing the 'whistle'
    I've now reduced the pressure using an on-line stop tap and turning it half on/off.
    This seems to be working, for the moment.
    I'll post if this works long term.
    Cheers
    David
    FMTech Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 09:24 AM
    The problem could be the top. If flushing a second time does not solve the problem, let me know and I will replace the valve for you free of charge. Turning down the angle stop is not a real good idea because that action can cause water hammer, a banging of the pipes.

Feel free to contact me directly [email protected] or 800-631-2011 Ext. 2232

Michael Lagasse

Jul 11, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Hi
    I have given the cap and diaphragm a (very) thorough clean.
    This involved removing the cap from the Fluidmaster, separating the diapragm, and rinsing under hot running water.
    I then returned the water flow to ‘full’ and gave the valve body three long flushes, prior to reassembling.
    The Fluidmaster web site instructions helped a lot.
    Everything now seems to work OK – fingers crossed.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Cheers
    David
    dcharb78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2011, 05:39 PM
    Mmmmm everything here is rather dated. It would seem in 2011 the same issues exist. Fluid Master is now off my recommended list if over 3 years later a new product after 8 months roughly of use exhibits the same "whistling" issue.

I will ensure to never Recommend and tell everyone about my experience and research related to this issue.

Replace with another manufactuer who actually addresses their issues.

Thanks,

D
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 8, 2011, 06:23 AM

Hi Dcharb78

The whistling issue isn't necessarily specific to fluidmaster as any fill valve can get sediment stuck in under the refill washer/seal and cause whistling sounds.

Here, in fact, fluidmaster has made it incredibly easy to repair this issue... simply shut off the water to the fill valve, push down and twist the refill cap a 1/4 turn and then pull the washer up and out to clean it of the debris causing the issue... it's that easy!

Just wanted you and others to know, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disbursement Float [ 0 Answers ]

Average daily remittances are $5 million, and "extended disbursement float" adds 3 days to the disbursement schedule, how much should the firm be willing to pay for a cash management system if the firm earns 10% on excess funds. A) $500,000 B) $1,500,000 C) $1,000,000 D) $0 Is the...

Screeching noise in shower? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Our shower makes a horrible high pitch screeching noise every time it is turned on. It does not seem to matter if the water is hot or cold. How do I fix this. Thank you, Laurie

A/c float switch wiring connections [ 1 Answers ]

While working in my attic, I accidentally disconnected one of the eletrical leads from the float switch in my condenser drip pan. Both leads are small gauge, plain black insulate wiring. One lead is still connected to the wiring panel on the side of the hvac unit. The other lead that I kicked...

Can't find float switch for ac unit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a float switch for emergency turn off if the water(the water is ccndensation) backs up in the ac. I don't need a pump. I have a line running from the ac going into the sewage line for drainage but house inspector told me to get an emgergency turn off switch- he called it a float switch. I...

View more questions Search