Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JennyLynn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Single mother filing for full custody
    Hi My name is Jen, My daughter was born may2nd and her father signed paternity papers so that she would have his last name. Stupid of me I know. I want to file for full custody but I'm not sure exactly how it works. Once he is served court papers I'm afraid he will try and take her. What do I do?
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

Jul 5, 2007, 12:05 AM
    What state are you filing in and what do you mean by you are afraid he will take her? Take her as in kidnap her? Define full custody... you want sole legal and physical or just sole physical? Why do you believe you will get sole custody?
    mommasmom Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2010, 06:41 PM

If he leaves state after he is served papers depending on the state and court it could be considered kidnapping . You go to juvinille and domestic relations court to file. Physical custody is easier to get than sole cust. Physical custody just means the baby lives with you and he gets visitation which is what most courts grant. Sole custody you would have to show courts he is unfit as a parent or doesn't make decisions in child's best interest. If you aren't sure try legal aid were you live.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2010, 09:25 AM

Is there a current custody order established? You can file for full custody regardless of which parent's name she has. Her father can likewise file for whatever he wants. Then it'll be up to the judge to make the final decision. Keep in mind that both parents have rights and the judge will not deny any parent unless there are extreme circumstances involved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm a single mother need to file for full custody [ 12 Answers ]

Im a single mothe with 1 baby who is currently 1 yr and 7 months in california san diego , i currently receive child support started this month and the father of the child is currently in louisiana and want to have my daughter for a month i don't mind him wanting to spend time with her but...

Should I ask for full custody? [ 51 Answers ]

My son is 3 months. I was never married to his father. His father has 4 felonies and a criminal record that is 35 pages long. He has had an addiction to cocaine since he was 19 and he is now 31. Since I have known him he has not been clean for more than 3 months. He has been through rehab at...

Filing for Full Custody [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my name is Tempestt Moore, I'm 19 and will soon be a single mother. I am needing some very desperate and helpful information. How do I go about filing for full custody of my baby and having his father relinquish his parental rights? I am needing help with this because I don't know how to exactly...

Filing full custody [ 2 Answers ]

I was told today that I could file full custody of my 2 children because my husband abandoned them. He has visitation every other week and he hasn't seen them for 7-8 weeks now. He never returns their calls and he calls maybe once every 4-5 weeks. Can I and should I take him back to court for...

Single Mother [ 1 Answers ]

I`m living with single mom and her 8 years old son, If we separate, Can the mother sue me for child support for her child, despite that I`m not his biological father ?

View more questions Search