Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ipath62 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Can I fly with a bench warrant
    I am on vacation right now and I just found out I have a bench warrant issued for a misd. Charge. Will I be arrested at the airport when I come back? Please someone help me
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 1, 2007, 04:38 PM
    You can be, you can be arrested at a traffic stop, at a ID check point anywhere and anytime. Now if the airport where you are flying in, is close to where you are wanted, then yes most likely you will be. If this airport is far away, then they may detain you, but would not keep you, since on minor issues, they will not pay to transport you back for minor charges
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2007, 06:42 PM
    Not unless the authorities know you're traveling and when and where you flight is due in.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ipath62
    will i be arrested at the airport when i come back?
    Hello I:

I think you will be. I would hire a lawyer BEFORE you come back.

In my opinion, when you check in at the airport, TSA knows everything about you that there is to know. That would include any outstanding warrants.

Of course, I could be wrong.

excon
    anamia Posts: 25, Reputation: 7

Feb 20, 2008, 07:57 AM
    I think you will be fine. They do not run your license. They simply make sure your name is the same on the license and your ticket. If you are flying internationally - that is another issue.
    Luvauger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 04:40 PM
    So, say I'm flying to Cabo, Mexixo from Michigan. I know I have a bench warrant. Will That be an issue at customs?
    Luvauger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 04:44 PM
    Can I fly to mexico if I have a bench warrantnt
    I have a Bench $500 bench warrant for not completing community service. I want to fly to mexico. Will there be a problem with that?
    Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 06:08 PM

Not if they don't arrest you for the warrant as you board, but then they most likely will on the return.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2010, 06:51 PM

You might be able to fly to Mexico. I doubt you will be able to fly back.
    Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 07:10 PM

Every name on every flight is ran against dozens of government data bases.
    adrianb433 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 16, 2012, 09:47 PM
    I have bad news for you I think. I'm in the same situation or similar. I've been traveling in and out of Thailand for several years with a bench warrant issued in CA for violation of probation for not attending a DUI driving school even though I served time and paid all of the fines etc. and until recently U.S. Customs did not have the "legal tools" to detain a citizen for such a bench warrant. They certainly know all about you every time they swipe your passport or enter the number which is why they would always send me into a private room for secondary high level search and interrogation-everytime but then would always release me. That is no longer the case. Recently the ICE agency has just gone through an updated reform and has been signed into law that requires them to contact local law enforcement for anyone passing through that has an outstanding bench warrant (this was or is intended to target foreigners wishing to enter the U.S. who have a questionable arrest record or a bench warrant but the new body of the reformed update has bundled within it that this also applies to U.S. citizens as well , so while your being searched again it will only take about 2 minutes before the local law enforcement (police, county or state) arrive to arrest you. Here's some more fuel to add to the fire. It does not cost the states and local governments any money to arrest you and detain you and extradite you. In fact they are provided money from the Federal Govn't for this and in doing so it has become profitable for the local agencies. The longer they keep you the more money they receive.
    Ive been researching this extensively for a long time and it has become scary the "long arm of the law". I'm stuck in Thailand with little money. Not nearly enough to hire a lawyer to get it resolved. All types of bench warrants have one thing in common and that is that they are mostly viewed by the courts as you being someone who intentionally ignored the law. You'd better be real careful and at least have a family member contact a lawyer before you report to the airport.
    This gets really complicated; more than I could ever imagine. In my case just because I didn't attend a DUI driving school and now, once arrested I will be facing other very serious charges and violation of probation now becomes violation of parole in many states and in some states that becomes felony from a simple misdemeanor origin.
    Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you fly with a bench warrant? [ 24 Answers ]

Ok, So I have a bench warrant because the letter I got for a court date was misprinted and differed from what the actual court date was, no big deal, but I need to fly this Sunday and will not be able to clear it before than. The original charge was a misdemeanor, and I am not flying from the same...

Recovery Warrant, Civil Warrant or Detainer Warrant? [ 4 Answers ]

I closed on the purchase of a house on April 27th. The seller notified a roommate (who was "not" a tenant) to move on April 4th. He moved his furniture on April 12 but left 4 broken down vehicles, and 2 garages wall-to-wall with things. He is dragging his feet on moving because he's angry at the...

Bench press [ 8 Answers ]

How should bench press be done? Right now I'm doing 4 sets of 10 reps at 50 pounds. Do I increase the weight after each set or start at about 100 pounds and decrease the weight after each set. What would be best to do to build mass?

Bench Warrant Statute of Limitations (CA) [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, everyone: This is my first post to this site. My close friend has a criminal past and has been in jail many times for various things. He is a former drug addict and has been clean and crime-less for over 5 years. Recently, he received a moving violation ticket in Yolo County. Through...

View more questions Search