Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    georgechester Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2005, 04:19 PM
    Proper way to fill in hole in back yard
    In Rear corner of backyard there is a 2 foot wide by 3 foot deep hole.
    This is probably caused by drainage to the lowest part of the yard as it slopes that way. What is a good temporary fix until next spring or later? What kind of kind of fill is appropriate and how should it be layered?

e.g. large stones, gravel, quarry dust, dirt, sand etc
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2005, 05:10 PM
    Doesn't sound good to me. I would avoid large rocks and anything else likely to be hard to remove. I would go with the dirt or quarry dust. Holes don't develop just from water draining. It could be washing the dirt into an old broken drain. If you have limestone in the area, it could be a natural sink. Either way, it will never stay filled. A drain could be filled, but I will leave a natural sink to somebody with successful experience with them.
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Oct 16, 2005, 01:19 PM
    If this is in the rear corner of your yard and not a safety hazard, let it stay the way it is until spring and you may find out if it will get any worse or not. I had an old rotten tree stump in my yard that I didn't know was there and as it deteriorated the ground sunk. When I found out what the problem was by digging down, I filled the depression with good soil, planted seed, and it has been ten years since then with no further sinking. Whatever you decide, remember that it is easier to remove soil than anything else you could think of putting in there. Try digging down a bit if it continues to sink and you might get a look at the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Muddy back yard [ 5 Answers ]

Hi - my backyard drops down about 6 feet, into a valley (shared by all neighbors). This time of the year, as the snow melts, my lower backyard becomes a mud bath, and my dogs cannot go out without needing a shower every time. I have two questions: 1. Short-term - What can I do right now to...

Proper etiquette [ 3 Answers ]

One of my closest friends is getting married and I am in the wedding party. Things are getting quite pricey between dress, shoes, bridal shower, bachlorette party, not to mention the cost of the hotel room for the weekend. The reception is at a very nice place and unfortunately that nice place...

H-1 Visa from F-1 getting back Social security and which forms to fill [ 1 Answers ]

I am hirenshukla from India currently,I am on H-1 Visa starting from October 2005 and was on OPT (F-1 Visa)from January 2005 up to September 2005 My company deducted the Social security from my from my pay during the entire year so could you please guide me how can I get that social security...

Proper venting [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Experts, My son and I are doing the new DWV system for our house. I have a lot of experience in doing plumbing so I'm not a novice, but I do need to make sure I am doing the venting properly (I know the vent is just as important as the drain lines) as I haven't done anything quite this...

View more questions Search