Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dolfyf Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Washing machine fills up but does not start
    Hi... I have a Whirlpool washing machine that is 3 years old... It fills up, but after it is full it does not do anything... dead... tried to move to different cycles... on an off but it seems totally dead... lid is down but curiously the switch on the rim where the lid makes contact when it closes... is gone. I bought the machine used... and it was working perfectly until yesterday... Thanks for any help and suggestions. Dolfy
    smoon Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Jun 25, 2007, 10:17 AM
    I don't know
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2007, 10:27 AM
    The plunger on the lid will have to be on to engage the switch. To test with lid up push in on switch with a small object to engage switch and see it anything happens.

Jun 25, 2007, 02:40 PM
    Re: my washing machine
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esquire1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dolfyf
    Hi... thanks for your answer about my whirlpool . The plunger is there... but there is no switch in the machine...

Unless there is a jumper wire on switch you will have to have a switch. It is a safety to shut unit down during agitation and spin cycle to prevent one from opening lid and getting hand hurt with unit running. It can be bypassed with a jumper wire but it does present a safety issue. Good Luck. Post back and rate answer with results.

I do know what you mean... but I promise... there is no switch.. and no jumper wire... there is only a single wire... not connected to anything... hanging like a little tail... is it possible that the switch got unscrewed and fell off between the drum and the body of the washer?. should I open the back and see? or it is totally farfetched?.
    pipemaster17 Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Jun 28, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Is there a hole in the lid for the switch? If so is there two little holes along side the hole for screws? If this is the case your switch has come unscrewed. It is replaced by taking the whole case(front and two sides)off. There are two little screws in the control panel and the control panel lifts. Then there are two large brass colored spring clips (one on each side) that have to come off. You unplug the wires for the lid switch and tip it back. The entire case comes off. The lid switch is in the case that you just took off. Different models change some. I am only assuming it is a Whirlpool with a model starting with 110.
    pipemaster17 Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Jun 28, 2007, 07:34 PM
    I'm sorry, I thought it was a Whirlpool built Sears, not just a Whirlpool so that's why I said if it starts with 110. The repair would be the same, the model # would start differently.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2007, 07:51 PM
    Pipemaster17 I guess Whirpool bought Maytag earlier this year. The field continues to narrow in the appliance world

Jun 28, 2007, 09:49 PM
    Thank you to all who have answered my question. I ended calling a repairman that diagnosed the problem and charged me $89. He said that it was the timer and that he would charge me $170 to replace it. I decided not to fix it and bought a used washer for $50 delivered to my house... which is what I should have done to begin with... and the switch?? /It was bypassed by the previous owner... Thanks to all again. This is a great site. Dolfy
    Chameleon Posts: 154, Reputation: 17

Jul 1, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dolfyf
    Hi....I have a Whirlpool washing machine that is 3 years old....It fills up, but after it is full it does not do anything....dead...tried to move to different cycles...on an off but it seems totally dead....lid is down but curiously the switch on the rim where the lid makes contact when it closes...is gone. I bought the machine used....and it was working perfectly until yesterday....Thanks for any help and suggestions. Dolfy
    I had this same problem. I had to replace the lid switch. It was $30 for mine. My brother in law replaced it for me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My kenmore washer fills but won't start [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Washing machine model # 110.2463200 , when you try to wash a load it fills up with water but then it stops. It won't finish the cycle. What do I do to fix this. Is it the lid switch? If so how do I fix that?

Washing Machine makes grinding noise when washing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Maytag Performa washing machine - about 5 years old. It makes a grinding noise when washing. Spin cycle is still quiet. Any suggestions about what to check?

Toilet closest to washing machine gurgles and backs up when washing machine drains. [ 2 Answers ]

When the washing machine drains, the toilet in the next room gurgles and the bowl partially fills. I have taken these steps: Ran hose down vent pipe on roof. No backup noticed. Had plumber snake from outside wall cleanout by washing machine and 1/2 bath toilet to city sewer line in alley,...

Washing Machine Drains = Bathtub Fills Up W/ Sewage? [ 4 Answers ]

Okay so my title is just a hint of the trouble I have recently encountered. A couple days ago I did a load of laundry and noticed that the bathtub was full of sewage about 45mins after starting the laundry load. Puzzled it took me until the next day to figure out they two events were...

View more questions Search