Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clfachin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2006, 11:09 AM
    I can't pull the starter cord on my 10hp Briggs and Stratton Engine
    I recently purchased a two year old 10 hp Troy Built wood chipper. I've used it for about 4-5 hours and recently had to add a little oil. I added the correct type as per the manufacturers instructions. It started up just fine and after 15 minutes or so I shut it off to empty the bag. Once the engine was off it was clear the bag wasn't full, but when I try to pull the starter cord it is stuck. I let it cool down, but nothing changed. I also removed and blew the dust out of the air cleaner since the leaves etc were very dusty. This also didn't work. Any ideas?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2006, 09:39 PM
    Take the plug out and then try to pull it... no go? Take the shroud off and try to do it by hand (take olt to the flywheel and turn it over)

If still no go... it sounds seized...
    Eqaaah Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 28, 2006, 12:32 PM
    Is it a direct drive chipper... meaning does the chipper rotates when engine is turning... if so maybe a piece of wood dropped down and jammed the chipper head thus preventing the engine to turn over.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Dec 28, 2006, 05:41 PM
    I think eqaaah is correct, this happens frequently with a direct drive chipper. I find most engine seizures happen while engine is running and they tend to make a noise prior to locking up. Was the oil level still fine after you shutt engine off and could not pull rope again?
    Be sure and disconnect spark plug wire before trying to dislodge any obstructions.
    Good luck,
    Don
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 03:07 PM
    Have You Tried To Remove The Spark Plug And Standing Clear, Wearing Safety Glasses, Try And Pull The Rope? Often Times, There Will Be A Microscopic Piece Of "trash" In The Fuel System That Has Made It Past The Fuel Filter And Lodged Itself Onto, Or Beside The Tip Of The Carbs. Needle Valve. Then The Fuel Will Continue To Flow Into The Carb. Bowl Since The Float And Needle Are "stuck" Open, Allowing The Fuel To Flood The Carb. And The Fuel Running Into The Cylinder And Crankcase. Check Your Oil, If Overfilled This Is More Than Likely Your Problem. Remove Spark Plug, Pull Rope To Clear Cylinder, Replace Spark Plug, Start Engine And Let Run For About 2 Minutes. Then Immediately Drain The Oil. Replace With New Oil. Pull The Carb. Remove The Fuel Bowl, Float And Needle, Clean With Carb. Cleaner , Reassemble And Good Luck. You May Try And Install An In Line Fuel Shutoff To Prevent This Problem In The Future, And Check Your Fuel Cans. Only Use Plastic Fuel Cans, And Keep Fuel No Longer Than 30 Days.
    Good Luck,
    Mowerman2468
    sbob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2008, 05:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by clfachin
    I recently purchased a two year old 10 hp Troy Built wood chipper. I've used it for about 4-5 hours and recently had to add a little oil. I added the correct type as per the manufacturers instructions. It started up just fine and after 15 minutes or so I shut it off to empty the bag. Once the engine was off it was clear the bag wasn't full, but when I try to pull the starter cord it is stuck. I let it cool down, but nothing changed. I also removed and blew the dust out of the air cleaner since the leaves etc were very dusty. This also didn't work. Any ideas?
    It might be yours bering or your pull satrter take it off and try and pull it by it self if not that migtht be your proiblem there
    yardwrk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2010, 06:21 PM
    Just had the same symptom with mine - took the blade housing off and found a nice size chunk of branch wedged in good - blade
    Was stuck. Took it out and pull started right away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & stratton 12.5 [ 8 Answers ]

My husband has an MTD with a b and s 12.5. It has run weill with some babying for a while, now. One day he was running ti and he heard a loud POP , and that was the end. It has new solenoid, starter, bettery and a few other things . The key is it is GETTING gas into the bowl, but not going ...

Briggs & Stratton 14.5hp OHV - Won't Run [ 8 Answers ]

I have a yard machine mower that was running great. It shut off in the middle of cutting and that was that. If I pour gas in the carb it tries to start, so I know I have fire. I have plenty of gas going to the carb and the solenoid on the bottom is working fine. I had the carb off, took the main...

Briggs &stratton 15 hp. [ 1 Answers ]

The other day this engine just quit and I had no spark from the coil. It has the electronic ignition so I cleaned everything under the flywheel and put it back thinking that this must be the problem but no. There is a small wire that goes to the coil and when I pull it off it will fire. I found two...

Briggs & stratton 16hp [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Cub Cadet which had a 16hp BS motor with points. It went bad so I found another 16hp BS that does not have points, it has the magnetron ignition. I am having trouble getting it to fire, is there something that I need to change to the wiring to make it fire. The magnetron engine came...

Briggs&Stratton Billy Goat Pull Start broken [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, my billy goat pull start is stuffed. When I pull it it goes floppy and won't wind back onto the wheel. Its happened before but when I've taken the top plate off it wound back on and I hadn't had trouble with it, until now. Is there anything I can do ?:confused:

View more questions Search