Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Boondocker Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2005, 06:01 PM
    How to Wire a Thermostat to blower fan for alternate heat source
    Hello all
    I just built a plenum around my coal stove and I need to wire in a stat , limit switch to run a blower fan . Thanks Steve PS I have all the parts off and hot air oil furnace.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2005, 06:43 PM
    Usually there is a 24 volt AC transformer in the furnace with the secondary winding connected to a red wire running to the thermostat and a blue wire, common, to the gas valve, A/C relay, and fan relay. From the thermostat there will be white wire to the gas valve, yellow to the A/C, and green to the fan. The thermostat is wired to switch the power from the red to the white, yellow, and green as needed with the blue completing the circuit. Most thermostats and furnaces have the contacts labeled R, B or C, W, Y, and G for the corresponding wire colors.

What are you going to do, just blow air over the coal stove and out into the room? Even if you are going to direct it into the existing ducts, the air around the stove is already going to be warm which is what the one limit switch does. The second limit switch shuts off the oil if things over heat. I doubt you can shut off the coal fire. So all you really need to do is to run the white wire from the thermostat and blue wire from the transformer to the coil of the blower relay.

Oct 10, 2005, 07:34 PM
    Hello Labman

I completely incased the stove witch started life as a Large Boss woodburner until I made it a coal stove 3 yrs ago. I had a plenum on top with a small 6 in. booster fan coming from my cold air return and a pipe going to my oil furnace plenum.100 degrees in the basement and barely moving air up stairs. This year I built a new plenum incasing the stove except the load and exhaust side airtight. I welded 8 vertical 3x3 capped tubes on top of the stove airtight.I am running an 8 in. feed from the return to a furnace blower blowind air under and around the stove out the top with 4 six in. pipes to my oil furnace plenum. I have a Honeywell oil furnace controller with a coil in it and a place to hook the stat wires with a limit switch in the plenum. Can I use this setup. I also added a domestic hot water tank to preheat my electric tank. My wife says I think too much lol. Thanks Steve
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2005, 08:03 PM
    Like I said, the oil furnace should have had a relay for the blower. Just wire the white wire from the thermostat to the relay coil. You need another wire back to the transformer to complete the circuit. If you mount the limit switch in the plenum where is it warm, it should stay closed.

Oct 10, 2005, 08:21 PM
    Thanks for the info Labman. Steve :)
    sandiman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2010, 07:08 PM
    How to wire a blower for a wood stove with thermostat on fan for forced heat

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

6 wire AC/Heater to 5 Wire thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Coleman BRCS0301BB AC and a gas based heting unit. I see 6 wires coming up to the thermosat - Red Blue White Yellow Green Brown

5 Wire 24v AC/Heat System [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I bought a home. Had no thermostat. Putting in Honeywell CT3500 Programmable. Have Red, Green, Yellow, Blue, White. AC works but no heat. Thermostat came with R jumpered to Rc. How do I wire this to get AC and heat? Thank you. I need to also explain that I did put the appropriate wires...

Wiring a 2 wire thermostat to a 4 wire system [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace equipped with central air.The compressor is shot in the AC unit,and I needed to replace the thermostat so I bought a heating only thermostat.I have the blower and the w wires together on the w terminal designation and the rh on the r terminal designation, and I have the y wire...

Run blower without heat? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a weather king propane furnace. I do not know the age. I have a simple dial thermostat. I would like to figure out how to run the blower without the heat. The wires from the thermo going into furnace have the three wires but the green is not connected to anything. The red is connected...

Wire colors for heat pump thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

While installing a programmable therostat, two of the indentification stickers fell off the wires. The wires colors are blue and brown and I don't want to hook them up wrong. The "ports" are E and C. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

View more questions Search