Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robflick23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2007, 08:14 PM
    New AC installation - should both liquid and suction line dryers be installed?
    To make a long story short I've have a bad experience trying to get some repairs done to an existing aire-flow unit. $800 later I'm scrapping the unit. I've ordered (online) a new Rheem Classic 3 ton 13 seer condenser, coil and 100,000 BTU gas furnace. I am not going to try to install the unit myself, I just want to gain some knowledge before I get someone to install it. I plan on requesting that they install a thermostatic expansion valve, a liquid line dryer, a liquid line sight, and a suction line dryer. Is that overkill? Any input would be appreciated.

Rob
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 09:58 PM
    Well the TXV is a great idea, What are you replacing? The lineset, evap. Coil, and condenser? If so I'd think the liquid line dryer should be enough. It won't hurt anything to install both... How much space are you heating/cooling? I think the 100,000 BTU furnace may be a bit much.
    robflick23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 02:16 PM
    Um, looks like I screwed something up trying to rate your answer and I can't seem to edit it. Don't know why it says I disagree.

But yes, I'm replacing everything including line set. The furnace is rated at up to 100,000 BTU but it only blows 1200 cfm and is matched to the coil. I'm not really sure where the 100,000 comes from.
    Vista Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 04:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by robflick23
    To make a long story short i've have a bad experience trying to get some repairs done to an existing aire-flow unit. $800 later i'm scrapping the unit. I've ordered (online) a new Rheem Classic 3 ton 13 seer condenser, coil and 100,000 btu gas furnace. I am not going to try to install the unit myself, i just want to gain some knowledge before i get someone to install it. I plan on requesting that they install a thermostatic expansion valve, a liquid line dryer, a liquid line sight, and a suction line dryer. Is that overkill? Any input would be appreciated.

Rob
    Dryers are normally placed on the high side (liquid) and should be good for the life of the AC unit. If the unit is ever exposed to the atmoshere then it would need to be replace. Use only one dryer. If the unit is new making a mod probably would void the warranty. There are to many controls involved here.

A thermostat with a remote bulb would be a little on the long side :)
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2007, 05:11 PM
    I would actually like to add something to my last comment, don't add a suction line dryer if you are installing a system with a scroll compressor.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2007, 05:53 PM
    You didn't say if it was R-22 or 134A. Just a liquid drier. Lineset is not necessary if it is r-22 for r-22 unless you expect a leak in the lineset. All 13 seer units will come with a TXV from the factory, starting with 12 seer and up, in the Rheem/Ruud line.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2007, 07:41 PM
    If you had a burn out on the old system I would put one in the liquid and suction line. After six months remove the one from the suction line and replace the one in the liquid line. To over protect your system will not hurt it. We all know that the new A/C systems are not cheap.
    nravi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2010, 11:42 AM
    In Dx system which side want to fix drier and sight glass

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New sewer and water line installation [ 6 Answers ]

I have a piece of property that has an existing mobile home on it. I'm having a new mobile home moved onto it this weekend for my mother-in-law. The property has public water and sewer. I am going to be running water and sewer lines for the new home from new taps that the utility company will...

Suction part of line sets [ 7 Answers ]

The 3/4" (insulated) lineset i have has a 6" rigid 90 degree end. Is that designed for the condenser or air handler end? It seems that it would fit in through the siding and give enough room to solder on from there to the ah. Otherwise you couldn't bend the tubing through the hole in siding and...

Fridgidaire dryers [ 1 Answers ]

My dryer will not start and the manual says it may be the thermal limiter. Is this costly to fix?

Check for suction line leaks [ 1 Answers ]

My irrigation pump keeps losing its prime. How do I check for leaks in the suction line?

View more questions Search