Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rach725 Posts: 4, Reputation: 3

Jun 19, 2007, 03:09 AM
    Puppy throwing up, no poopin
    I have a year and 3 month old cairn terrier. For the past three mornings, she has woken up and thrown up. She also hasn't been pooping normally. Other than that, she is pretty much herself. She does seem a little lethargic, but it is really hot out so it could be from that. Is this a case of dehyrdration or could it be more serious? Please help!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2007, 05:41 AM
    These can be tough calls. Does she have a cool place to sleep? Does she have water available and is she drinking it? I don't think a 15 month old Cairn Terrier would be as bad as a Lab pup about bolting down indigestibles, but it is possible. Do you give her rawhide or consumable chews? I am somewhere between going to the vet and waiting a couple more days. Don't put off too long. You don't want a sudden turn for the worst over a weekend.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 05:43 AM
    Sounds like she may have an obstruction, please go to your vet as soon as possible
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Rach, if she was just vomiting up in the morning once in a while, I wouldn't be concerned. But, because she has vomited for three straight days in a row AND her feces is not normal, I don't think it is something to ignore. I think labman's questions need to be answered before we can give guidance on whether she should be taken to the vet. If she has been chewing on rawhides or there is a possibility she swallowed something that you are not aware of, as danielnoahsmommy suggests, it could be an obstruction and you need to take your dog to the vet for an exam. So, please give us as much information as possible. You said her stools aren't normal but we don't know what that means. Is she straining when she is defecating? What do her stools look like?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2007, 09:44 AM
    Foiled by the default to agree again, but at least I inserted a warning to others about over feeding their dogs. Over feeding a dog is a form of abuse.
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 12:11 PM
    You know what? I just reread Rach's post just now and I think danielnoahsmommy is right on target. Rach, DO NOT give your dog a bedtime cookie. Sorry bushg, but you are totally off track on this one. I am glad that your dogs eat when they are hungry -- most don't. They will gobble whatever is put in front of them. Rach is saying the dog isn't defecating in her post title. With the vomiting, I am more than very concerned. Rach, you need to get your dog into the vet's office ASAP. It sounds very much like she ate something she shouldn't have and there is an obstruction. Please update us on what happens and let us know if your dog is okay.
    catsandkittensandmittens Posts: 31, Reputation: 5

Jun 19, 2007, 12:20 PM
    My granny's puppy sometimes does not poop the same all the time is this what you meant by not pooping normally. Sometimes she spits up in the morning. She mostly just lays around on hot days and plays in the evening time. She gets feed 3 times a day in . What is the fuss all about?
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 12:26 PM
    Ckm, read the title to the post to see what the fuss is about. Rach's dog is not "poopin". Meaning, something is obstructing her bowels. With her vomiting for the past three mornings straight, that tells me there is something wrong and she needs to get her dog into the vets office.

Jun 19, 2007, 12:32 PM
    Wow! I didn't expect to get this much feedback! Thanks so much. Let me clarify things... she is pooping, just not right after she eats.. which is what she used to to. If she eats dinner at around 5, she may not poop until midnight, or the following morning. Her poop is solid, though. She doesn't drink during the night, although she does have access to it. She does chew on rawhides, but not a lot. She has her annual one year this Saturday. I called the vet and explained what was happening and she said she thingks we can wait until her appointment. With this extra information, what do you guys think? Again, thanks so much for all the feedback. I really appreciate it.
    catsandkittensandmittens Posts: 31, Reputation: 5

Jun 19, 2007, 12:34 PM
    rach725 you mean she does not have the diarrhea. But her poop is just not like her normal poop. I think I understand! As long as she eats and drinks and plays . Maybe she just has an upset tummy! No big deal!
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 12:34 PM
    Since she is actually defecating, and you spoke to the vet about it, there isn't much more to say. Bring her in on Saturday as the vet advised. If I were you, I would speak with the vet about allowing your dog to chew on rawhides.
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Why would you believe Rach would be offended by your advice bushg? I am sure she is not.

Rach, let us know what the vet says after you bring her in for a check up and let us know how she is fairing. The vomiting may be a result of allergies or she could have eaten something that disagreed with her. Sometimes dogs can get a hold of something that we are not aware of.

Jun 19, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Wow. I'm not offended at all. I'm grateful for all the advice. This is my first puppy ever so I get worried over everything!! I appreciate everyone's comments, so thank you. And no need to apologize for anything!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Flame throwing [ 3 Answers ]

I have a LP gas, upflow furnace with a standing pilot. I can turn it on, the pilot lights the main burners as normal, the flame is blue like it should be, and the blower comes on like normal after the unit heats a bit. The problem is every 5 minutes it pops a fireball out the front (I now have no...

My dog is throwing up [ 7 Answers ]

We don't have the money to take my puppy to the vet this week and I can't find a vet that will let me pay next week and they won't tell me anything without seeing her, she is 5 months and is acting normal she just keeps throwing up white vomey vomit I don't know what to do

Shih-Tzu Throwing Up Often [ 2 Answers ]

My Three Year old Shih-Tzu seems to be throwing up a yellow saliva like substance every other day. We keep him on a good lean diet, with limited treats. Anyone have an idea what may be the cause of this?

My pup is throwing up [ 2 Answers ]

My puppy started throwing up early this morning and has been consistent all day. She doesn't want to eat or drink much water, what could be wrong with her she is going to the vet tomarrow but I am just trying to figure out what to ask her to look for any help would be greatly appreciated thanks...

Dog throwing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 7 year old female sheltie, she has been throwing up evreything that she eats and Drinks. If she eats something she will throw it up. And samething with water sometimes and it scares me. And when she does it she gags right before. It's a orange yellow looking color! She has been doing...

View more questions Search