Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    texasclaw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2007, 04:50 AM
    Young Chickens killing and eating each other.
    Why do my young chicks kill and eat each other? When I go out in the morning there are numerous dead and the others are pecking the dead carcasses. Help!
    Chicklet Posts: 35, Reputation: 10

Jun 2, 2007, 05:44 AM
    I had this problem many yrs ago.
    Your looking at either boredom or a deficiency in something.
    The solution that worked for me was letting them run outside.
    Giving them grass clippings and dirt to eat.

Also once they start, others follow what they see, and you sometimes can't stop them, except to kill the ring leaders, and that sometimes is hard to figure out, and don't work either.

I'd start by giving them lots of grass and dirt, (if you can't let them outside) otherwise if that don't work, get the ring leaders or kill them and start over new,

Just like egg eaters, if you don't stop it quick it goes through the whole lot soon and you can only stop it by killing all and starting new.
    So the more quick you get this under control the better chances of actually being able to stop it.

Also any that may have a sore butt or blood showing anywheres, Remove them from the lot till it heals.
    Chickens can't help but pick on anything shinny and won't stop until they kill that chicken,
    DocWill Posts: 239, Reputation: 40

Jun 2, 2007, 02:42 PM
    I say jokingly say, because they like chicken too,.

although strangely enough, from a medical stand point, usually cases show lack of nutrition. Not saying you don't feed them well by any means, simply put, more time and space for small bug hunting and rocks. On close exam, witch only weird geeks like me would notice up close and personal is they weren't actually eating the chicken, they were eating the bugs that were attracted to the cadaver. CHIC made a great suggestion by more room, more space more bugs. Why they kill each other is, less chickens more room=more bugs.

I can hear them chanting now ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE YEAH ME! In chicken voices. Good Luck!
    DocWill Posts: 239, Reputation: 40

Jun 2, 2007, 03:24 PM
    Wish I could do the chicken dance
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2007, 03:25 PM
    FUNNY! Por chicks!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2007, 03:28 PM
    I saw rooster's dance.. well the cute ones trying to pick up a chick
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Jun 16, 2007, 03:32 PM
    The way to overcome the chicks killing each other is to use an infra red light in the area they are situated, it may not be possible to keep them all confined but if it is possible use an infr red light and you will find there is a drastic increase in chick mortality as they can see what they are doing instead of picking at the toes which starts of an attack and possible cannibilism

If a chick is cut then you must remove it from the pen as the chicks will attack it and kill it and start eating it if they get the taste for blood it can get very hard to stop...

Also I think they may be lacking in protein in the diet so substitute with mealworms or mini mealworms, place them on the bottom and let them peck about for them , also add shiney things to where they are as the shiney objects attract the chicks and keep them occupied I use marbles with mine...
    Marbles in the drinkers and feeders also to encourage them to peck their and not each other... cocks need to be separated from hens as soon as possible as they start to mature quickly and try to take pride of place..

The chicks need room to move and their own space so make it regular practice if confined to let them have a run somewhere, maybe a patch enclosed on the outside grass with a mesh lid so they can't escape this will enable them to play with the grass get protein from insects found in the grass and keep them occupied for a while...

Katie
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jun 19, 2007, 12:11 PM
    There are a few things I've done to solve my chicken problems.They love to eat foam,which keeps them from pulling each others feathers out.It works,and my chickens are old,so it won't kill them.There is also a shell you can buy to help with the egg eaters.It works also.It is sold at feed stores.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Helppp.its killing me [ 7 Answers ]

Am feeling so sad because of what I did--once my parents scolded me very badly so to hurt them back I started pretending that I have gone mad,I started dancing and talking to myself.They thought that I have gone mad in real and they took me to a doctor for that as I wanted them to think that I...

Baby Chickens [ 4 Answers ]

How Can You Tell If A Baby Chick Is A Boy Or Girl ?

Chickens [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone raise chickens in town? I am allowed to have chickens in town so I am building a chicken coop. I ordered some Leghorns and Rhode Island reds. Would like to know any "tricks" or info regarding the best way to handle them. Thanks.

My jaw is killing me! [ 3 Answers ]

First off I'll start by saying that I do have a cold, but don't know whether that makes a difference or not. Anyway, yesterday we went out for dinner, and about 30 minutes later, my jaw REALLY started to hurt. It hurt through the right side of my jaw, to my ear, up to my temple/eye. I took 2...

Killing them bugs [ 3 Answers ]

Anybody here know what the best product to kill them bugs around the outside of your home is. A lot seep to recommend tempo wp/sc. I will be killing mostly spiders but I need something with a good range of killing ability. Also what is the best way of application for this product i.e. use in a low...

View more questions Search