Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paul2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2007, 10:50 AM
    Well pressure tank leaking
    I had a well tank installed 7 years ago and it appears to be leaking around its base.
    It is an Amtrol well pressure tank

Any suggestions? Is this a problem because I don't think it is sweating. It is located in the cold room of the basement.

Paul
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 17, 2007, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paul2
    I had a well tank installed 7 years ago and it appears to be leaking around its base.
    It is an Amtrol well pressure tank

any suggestions?? is this a problem because I dont think it is sweating. It is located in the cold room of the basement.

paul
    Hey Paul,

You neglected to inform us of where it was leaking from. The threads? A joint? A weld? None of the above? Where? Regards, tom

Jun 17, 2007, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hey Paul,

You neglected to inform us of where it was leaking from. The threads? A joint? A weld? none of the above? Where?? regards, tom

Thanks for the quick response..

Ive checked all fitting... it appears to be coming in from around the base.. don't know what's under there but its leaking consistently about 1/4 cup per day

paul2
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 18, 2007, 06:49 AM
    If you can't locate the source then your only option is to replace the tank. Good luck, Tom
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 22, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Ya got the best I could offer with the details you provided. All you could tell me is;" it appears to be coming in from around the base.. dont't know whats under there but its leaking consistently about 1/4 cup per day"
    You haven't given me any place to start. No fitting, no connection, couldn't say if was leaking from the tank or a pipe underneath. Sorry! The eight ball I use to answer questions such as yours is out of order. Tom

Jun 23, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Ya got the best I could offer with the details you provided. All you could tell me is;" it appears to be coming in from around the base.. dont't know whats under there but its leaking consistently about 1/4 cup per day"
    You haven't given me any place to start. No fitting, no connection, couldn't say if was leaking from the tank or a pipe underneath. Sorry! The eight ball I use to answer questions such as yours is out of order. Tom

Tom,

I do appreciate your help. I attempted to get you more info.. I palced a plastic bag under the large fitting axiting the tank and behold.. no dripping from under the tank but the bag was full of water.

Ant caveats about tigfhtening these fitting? Will a standard plumbers wench do the trick?

Should I try tightening all of them?
    Paul
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Jun 23, 2007, 08:34 AM
    Paul,

You're really going to need to locate the source of the leak. Randomly tightening fittings might work, but you might also break a fitting, and that would be a real mess. What is the material? Common would be PVC or maybe some galvanized pipe.

I suggest that you first light the space up, it's a lot easier to see where the water is coming from with light. Then clean the area thoroughly.

Dry everything off with a towel, and watch carefully... check it every five minutes (use a mirror to see the parts that may be hidden or too low to look at directly) until you see the water appear again.

You could also try (after cleaning and drying the whole area) laying newspaper down on the floor, to at least target the area that the water is coming from.

If you're not willing or able to really search for and pinpoint the leak, then you should call someone else to handle it for you.

Just my thoughts!
    ~aaron

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure/bladder tank losing pressure? [ 11 Answers ]

Well, I have asked some questions about my plumbing before. So I am calling on you guys once again. I have a 52 gallon pressure tank/bladder tank made by wellsaver. I turn the water on and have good pressure for a few minutes then it basically goes dead with no pressure. I recently posted questions...

Bigger pressure tank or increase pressure? [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a new home and the builder had installed a 20 gal pressure tank. I have a jet pump system where the motor sits directly on the tank itself. I really notice the pump running a bit,but also notice the loss of pressure quickly, especially in the shower. Now I was thinking of buying a much...

Leaking toilet tank [ 3 Answers ]

How to fix a hairline crack in a toilet tank

Leaking h/w tank pressure valve [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 40 gal ruud gas h/w tank the pressure release valve on top is attached to a long verticle copper pipe, wich is constantly dripping, the drip becomes a leak after hot water is used anywhere in the house. Tried opening up all faucets to release pressure. This did not work. Any suggestions?

Tank Pressure vs Pump Cut Out Pressure for Well [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to increase my water system pressure to the minimum required 40 PSI to feed my reverse osmosis drinking water filter. However, the 33 gallon pressure tank for my well pump system says it is pre-charged at 30 PSI and that the cut in pressure for my pump should be set equal to that 30...

View more questions Search