kepi Posts: 321, Reputation: 25

Jun 12, 2007, 12:09 AM
    Pork- is it a sin to eat it?
    Is it true it is a sin to eat pork?
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Jun 12, 2007, 12:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kepi
    That depends on what your religion is, dear. Not everyone believes the same, but in some religions it is because pork is considered unclean.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Jun 12, 2007, 12:15 AM
    I didn't notice this was in the Christian thread. Sorry. Christians eat pork. Maybe they eat a little too much at times.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2007, 12:18 AM
    There are some interesting thoughts on the subject on the following site.

Clean and Unclean meats: a Christian perspective
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2007, 02:00 AM
    According to the new testament it is not what you put in your mouth that makes you dirty but what comes out of your mouth.

Whatever you think for yourself is good to eat, will be.

Whatever you think is not good for yourself won't be.

It is up to each individual.

I eat pork.

Joe
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

Jun 12, 2007, 03:03 AM
    Some religions believe that eating pork is a sin but others disagree. I believe it is a sin to eat foods for the wrong reasons and therefore I eat to satisfy my stomach and not out of pleasure. This has to do with sweets as well and beef and pork and if you eat any food for the wrong readons this may be considered a sin. I think some people think that it is a sin to eat red meat also like beef but it is okay once in a while and is needed for protein. Some people also believe that it is a sin not to be a vegetarian but it just depends on the person, some people just eat the fruits and leafs of the earth such as salads, fruits and some eat fish but not all of them as I wouldn't consider it a vegetarian. Back in the bible days everyone mostly ate veggies, fruits, and fish! A friend of mine is Hindu and she will not eat pork and gets sick at the smell of bacon, actaully she is not suppose to eat meat at all or in only special occasion but she does eat meat but NO pork at all but that is her religion.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2007, 01:39 PM
    My goodness I hope not or I'll be going to hell for sure. In addition to what Joe said, Romans 14 puts it this way:

2 One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

3 The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him.

4 Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

5 One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

6 He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.
    In other words, it's up to you. As for me, I love it - grilled, fried, barbecued, in fajitas or coated in mushroom gravy. :cool:
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Jun 12, 2007, 02:01 PM
    I'd like to add the following to the previous responses:

Acts 10

Peter went up on the roof to pray.
    10 He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance.
    11 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners.
    12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles of the earth and birds of the air.
    13 Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."
    14 "Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have never eaten anything impure or unclean."
    15 The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."

This addresses the question, as well.

As a side issue, I often like to use this (especially verse 13) when confronted by people about my proclivity to hunting. ;)
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 12, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nymphetamine
    That depends on what your religion is, dear. Not everyone believes the same, but in some religions it is because pork is considered unclean.
    I'm a Christian who believes that pork is unclean based on God's Word. I simply call it a "food law." I don't think that people, including Christians, who eat pork will go to hell but I don't think that they will be as healthy as they could be. I lived on a ranch as a young adult and I spent 3 years in the FFA (Future Farmers of America) during high school. Pigs will eat anything and everything including their own droppings. They are the vacuum cleaners of the earth. They are packed full of parasites and are immune to most of the diseases that they pick up because that's how God made them.

Pork is not the only unclean food to eat but that's another topic for another time.
    Mamao2 Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Jun 12, 2007, 06:50 PM
    I am a Christian and I have never heard of eating pork being a sin, so I think it's okay.
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson
    I'm a Christian who believes that pork is unclean based on God's Word. I simply call it a "food law." I don't think that people, including Christians, who eat pork will go to hell but I don't think that they will be as healthy as they could be. I lived on a ranch as a young adult and I spent 3 years in the FFA (Future Farmers of America) during high school. Pigs will eat anything and everything including their own droppings. They are the vacuum cleaners of the earth. They are packed full of parasites and are immune to most of the diseases that they pick up because that's how God made them.

Pork is not the only unclean food to eat but that's another topic for another time.
    So you do not have any reference for What Jesus says in the new testament?
    Tessy777 Posts: 191, Reputation: 37
    -

Jun 12, 2007, 07:06 PM
    It is only a sin if you are a Jew and you keep the law. Jesus was a Jew, he kept the law and I'm sure he never touched it. A Christian today is free to eat and drink whatever they want to unless they are over indulging.

Jun 12, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Whatever you think for yourself is good to eat, will be. Whatever you think is not good for yourself wont be.It is up to each individual. I eat pork. Joe

So as long as I think that eating E.coli is good, it will be? If I think that eating human flesh is good, will it be? I will definitely need references for this one.
    Sam_Felgen Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Jun 12, 2007, 07:31 PM
    I Do Not Think That It Is A Sin At All To Eat Pork But It Also Depends On Your Religion Or What You Believe In! Weather You Want To Eat Pork Or Not Is All Up To You.

Jun 12, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    So you do not have any reference for What Jesus says in the new testament?
    If you believe that Jesus is God and that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, then there are plenty of references in the Whole Testament which is the Word of God in its entirety. Peter understood that pork was unclean when he had his vision. Many will claim that the interpretation of his vision means that pork is now clean to eat. However, his vision had to do with men and their converstion to Christianity... not meat.

Nonetheless, anyone who has had the opportunity to watch pigs will know that they are vacuum cleaners. They are fun to watch and I think they are a neat animal in many ways but I wouldn't eat pork unless by very life depended on it.

Jun 12, 2007, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tessy777
    It is only a sin if you are a Jew and you keep the law. Jesus was a Jew, he kept the law and I'm sure he never touched it. A Christian today is free to eat and drink whatever they want to unless they are over indulging.
    Jesus was also our example. If we conclude that He lived His way His way and we are free to live ours our way, then where do we draw a line? Are we each free to do whatever pleases ourselves as individuals? If you say yes, then you are in full agreement with the teachings of secular humanism which is in total opposition to Christianity and its tenets.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2007, 07:35 PM
    Pigs will eat anything and everything including their own droppings. They are the vacuum cleaners of the earth. They are packed full of parasites and are immune to most of the diseases that they pick up because that's how God made them.
    Aren't most pigs that are sold for meat kept in better sanitary conditions than most hospitals? I was always told that they are exclusively grain fed and never touch a dirt ground.

http://www.thepigsite.com/articles/8...atest-concepts
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2007, 07:43 PM
    So as long as I think that eating E.coli is good, it will be? If I think that eating human flesh is good, will it be? I will definitely need references for this one.
    Your really twisting things here now, arnt you.
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2007, 07:43 PM
    If you believe that Jesus is God and that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, then there are plenty of references in the Whole Testament which is the Word of God in its entirety. Peter understood that pork was unclean when he had his vision. Many will claim that the interpretation of his vision means that pork is now clean to eat. However, his vision had to do with men and their converstion to Christianity...not meat.

Nontheless, anyone who has had the opportunity to watch pigs will know that they are vacuum cleaners. They are fun to watch and I think they are a neat animal in many ways but I wouldn't eat pork unless by very life depended on it.

Jesus said, it is not what is put in your mouth that defiles you, but what comes out of it. That is written.

Joe

Jun 12, 2007, 07:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    Aren't most pigs that are sold for meat kept in better sanitary conditions than most hospitals? I was always told that they are exclusively grain fed and never touch a dirt ground.

http://www.thepigsite.com/articles/8...atest-concepts
    I haven't been to every pig ranch that there is but I have been to a couple that claim to be very clean and sterile. The first thing I noticed in both cases was the horrendous stench. Most of the workers there used gas masks. One of the places I went to was feeding slop that had grain mixed in with it. I don't know for sure what else was in it but I wouldn't have eaten it even if I had been one of the pigs. The other place claimed to feed their pigs corn. Most of the corn came from the floors of canneries in surrounding counties. Again, it certainly wasn't something I would have put on my plate. There is no guarantee at any pig ranch anywhere that the pigs aren't eating their own droppings or the droppings of their next door neighbor. Now I only visited for a short time. My eyes burned and it just plain stunk. They seemed to have been kept fairly clean but certainly not cleaner than a hospital. Perhaps there are some out there that do fit the criteria you mentioned but I wouldn't bet on it. Whatever the case may be, I'll stick to free-range beef.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tattoos (sin?) [ 150 Answers ]

The question for me personally. I would like to know everybodies opinion, thoughts and even biblical response to this question. Question is, is it a sin to get tattoos. Is it forbidden? Is there anything wrong with getting tattoos and if there is anything wrong with it? I have thought...

Original Sin [ 13 Answers ]

I am curious if anyone might have a theroy on Original Sin? There has been so much speculation over hundreds of years and I would like to hear what you think. Thanks:confused:

Pork Roast [ 2 Answers ]

I am making Pancetta Wrapped Pork tenderloin Roast, my question is the roast covered when in the oven? It just says place in oven at 400 degrees and roast 1 hour or until the therometer reads 145 degrees.

Pork chops [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have any good recipes for boneless center cut pork chops?

Living in sin [ 42 Answers ]

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly... This is a relationship question, but I chose to discuss this with other christians. I am in a relationship with the father of my 2 year old son. We are not married yet, and we live together. I have always known the Lord, but...

View more questions Search