Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maparnell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 06:47 AM
    How to evict a tenant without a lease
    In Illinois, how do I legally evict my tenant that does not have a lease for non payment of rent?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 11, 2007, 06:53 AM
    It doesn't matter if they have a written lease or not. If they pay rent (or are supposed to pay rent) on a monthly basis then they are a month-to-month tenant by law.

You would evict them the same way you would evict a tenant with a written lease. You give them written notice (either 3, 5, 7 or 10 days, depending on your state's law) to pay or vacate. If they fail to pay or vacate within that time then you file a lawsuit for eviction.

Go to the sticky at the top of the Real Estate Law forum. It has links to the landlord/tenant laws for all of the states. You can get the details for your state there.
    planet989 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2009, 03:48 PM
    Do you have the link to the forum? I don't see a real estate law forum that has such pages (pages by state for landlord tenant laws) - Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

Can I evict renters who do not have a lease for non-payment? [ 4 Answers ]

I am renting my house to my brother and his girlfriend. He has severe medical problems, and cannot make rental payments on time. She never puts a penny out to help with rent. There is no lease because he is family. Can I put them out because of non-payment? If so, how much notice must I give? ...

How to evict a roommate with no lease and I'm the owner? [ 2 Answers ]

I need help. I let two of my girlfriends move into my house--neither one signed a lease or anything. I couldn't take all the people and partying all the time and asked them to leave after only 1 1/2 months. One of them is staying elsewhere but her stuff is still here, the other still comes and...

Tenant responsibility for lease [ 2 Answers ]

My question is, if a tenant is evicted for non payment of rent, are they still required to pay the remainder of the lease if it was a yearly lease?

Can I evict tenants who violate lease by smoking? [ 3 Answers ]

Our tenants are violating the terms of the lease by smoking in their apartment. The lease states no smoking anywhere in the house, smoking is allowed outside behind the house only. Nearly every night there is a strong odor of cigarette smoke in the enclosed backporch outside our backdoor (we live...

View more questions Search