Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CMKRNL Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2007, 02:16 PM
    Replacing the lower light on a Hampton Bay Windward III ceiling fan
    At least that's what I think I have. I have the remote instructions, but seem to have lost the fan instructions. It's the white fan with the Gossamer Wind blades.

The lower fluorescent light has become intermittent. Sometimes it will turn on, sometimes it won't. Less frequently, it goes out while it is on.

I need to know how to get the cover off the lower light. I guess it wouldn't hurt to know how to get the upper light cover off also, if anyone knows.

Thanks!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Push on the glass and rotate it, it will eventually drop out.
    CMKRNL Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2007, 05:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CMKRNL
    At least that's what I think I have. I have the remote instructions, but seem to have lost the fan instructions. It's the white fan with the Gossamer Wind blades.

The lower fluorescent light has become intermittent. Sometimes it will turn on, sometimes it won't. Less frequently, it goes out while it is on.

I need to know how to get the cover off the lower light. I guess it wouldn't hurt to know how to get the upper light cover off also, if anyone knows.

Thanks!
    I thought I tried that, but maybe I wasn't pushing hard enough. I'll give it a try the next time it goes out.
    MikeO Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2011, 01:14 PM
    No need to push up hard at all. Glass rotates in clockwise to engage; counter-clockwise to unlock and disengage. Just grip and turn. The lamp is a dual band fluorescent ring. Three metal clips hold it in place.
    Pull back on each clip in turn and drop the lamp ring out. Pull the white plug out of the ring.
    Take the lamp to Home of DePot and have them tell you "Sorry mister, they don't make nothin' like that anymore". Actually, I think these are still available. I have never had to replace mine.

The upper light, depending on how close to the ceiling it is mounted, can be a trick. The glass will not come off without pulling it over the end of the drop rod. The top shroud moves up on the drop rod. Under that, there are three knurled screws holding the glass down. Pull those off. Lift the glass and there will be two of those tiny curly-cue Mercury Bomb light bulbs under the glass.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan - Light Comes On By Itself [ 15 Answers ]

Just installed a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with the remote control for the fan and the light. Old house and I it's my first time installing a fan. Pretty proud and works pretty well. O.K. just a little wobble. After a while of operation, the light comes on without anyone touching the remote. ...

Hampton bay ceiling fan light [ 1 Answers ]

I need a parts list light #uc7051r, the fan has four lights. The globe is held on by a flat metal spring system. It is attached to the porcelain part of the fixture

Mounting fan (Hampton Bay Windward II) on sloped ceiling [ 6 Answers ]

I'm having an electrician install this fan in my living room with a sloped ceiling (slopes from 1st floor to second - 45 degrees?). The electrician (who has NOT read the instructions ;) ) believes I need a different canopy cover, one with an elongated opening, due to the slope of my ceiling. From...

Windward III ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a Windward III. My house has a highly sloped ceiling. The canopy that comes with the fan would not work because it was for a normal flat ceiling. I went back to Home Depot and purchased the 2 canopies that they carry for sloped ceilings. Neither were large enough to contain...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan light [ 6 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me where I can find a replacement bulb for a ceiling fan I purchased at Home Depot a (hampton bay). The bulb is a mini spiral fluorescent with the writing on the side being--PLS13 Warm White, it has 4 pins. And is the push in type. Thanks

View more questions Search