Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Crysty Wolf Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 04:36 AM
    My Old Dog Quit Eating And Drinking
    Ok I'm starting to panic here! My 7 year old rattier dog quit eating and drinking and I think it's because he's jealous of the new 2 month old beagle puppy, but I don't know how to get him to start eating and drinking again! Now he won't eat and drink at all I've tried and tried to get him to start eating even my mom has tried punishing him but we can't find out how to get him to start eating or drinking again? We have got lots of other pets but never a new puppy, someone help me get him to start eating and drinking again!?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2007, 05:08 AM
    A vet check can't hurt. He could have coincidentally come down with something just when you got the new puppy. Many of the details you need are in the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 There is other material in the sticky that should help with the puppy.

Jun 7, 2007, 05:33 AM
    I also meant to put that I thought he might be depressed.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Please don't punish your dog for not eating. Take him to the vet and in the meantime do his favorite activity with him ( without the puppy around). Make sure he know he's still #1. Good luck
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Lol Mr. Pippin you must have been a very bad dog.
    MrPippin Posts: 87, Reputation: 17
    -

Jun 7, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    lol Mr. Pippin you must have been a very bad dog.
    Or she was a really bad cook. :)

Jun 8, 2007, 03:32 PM
    My parents say that my dog is under depression and that's why he's not eating.. If it is true how do I get him out of depression?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2007, 07:44 PM
    I would still like to see him run by the vet. If it is something physical, you can't fix it without identifying it and applying the correct remedy.

Likely it is an emotional thing due to the new puppy. Find time to lavish affection and attention. Is he obedience trained? Be a good way to spend time with him if not. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/ For more on being top dog, see http://www.dogbreedinfo.com./topdogrules.htm Top dogs have the right to bring new members into the pack. Lower ranking ones need to accept them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Dog Just Quit Eating and Drinking [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 11 month old pit bull male that I got a few weeks ago from a friend who couldn't keep him. He has been drinking and eating just fine until Sunday(7/24) when I was informed that he has not been eating or drinking the past few days. He isn't living with me at the moment but is over at a...

New puppy not eating or drinking [ 12 Answers ]

We got a new 8 week old Malte-Poo Puppy yesterday, brought her home and she had plenty of energy, was eating, drinking, urinating and pooping regularly. Today however she still has plenty of energy but will not eat or drink. She has urinated 4 times and pooped 2 times. Should we be concerned? I...

Dog is not eating or drinking but she's limping and once in awhile she whines. [ 3 Answers ]

My dog is a Chihuahua terrier mix, I thought she was shaking because most Chihuahua's do, but she started to shake even more, and the only thing she actually eats peanut butter, and she won't even drink anything, this happened to her before and the vet said if she didn't get better they'd put her...

Dog stroke-HELP not eating or drinking [ 1 Answers ]

I dog just had what the vet says is a stroke. I heard they will recover within weeks but at the moment she is not eating and taking water via a plastic syringe. Anyting we can do to help her dizzyness, tilted head and lack or appetite? Please help John

8 week old puppy not eating but drinking [ 1 Answers ]

I just brought home an 8 week old Scottish Terrier puppy from a very loving breeder. I'm not sure if he's just too young or what's going on. He ate the first night I brought him home and now he hasn't eaten in the past two days. He drinks plenty of water and is piddling but short of force...

View more questions Search