Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    urnotamrb Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Need to flush the boiler
    I need to flush out my boiler, is there anything major I need to know, other then shut the system off... Thank you for the help Stan
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 4, 2007, 09:35 AM
    I hope you['re talking about a water heater and not a heating unit.
    For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white or yellow grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures that are affected . Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps, Tom
    urnotamrb Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2007, 04:40 AM
    My furnace also heats the hot water... I'm having very low hot water psi in all area's of my house. I had a repair person there about 6 months ago, for some other issue and I had low psi then. The repair person drained somethging. After that the hot water psi was like new, and slowly slowed down. Trying to save some $$$ I was doing some research it seem that the issue is on the hot water side. Cold water and the well are fine... Any other ideas's I would be happy to listen..
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 5, 2007, 07:26 AM
    The same flushing procedure should apply to your boiler as to a water heater.
    Good luck, Tom
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

Jun 7, 2007, 03:28 PM
    Flushing Your Boiler Has Nothing To Do With Your Hot Water Pressure. However Make Sure You Never Add Cold Water To A Hot Boiler, Check To Be Sure You Have A Hot Water Feed If You Try. Your Bad Pressure May Come From Your Hot Water Jacket Inside The Furnace Being Obstructed And Needs To Be Back Flushed. Dissconnect Your Feed And Your Discharge, Hook Up A Hose And Back Flush But Check Your Feed First, See How The Pressure Is Before It Enters Your Heating Jacket

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Royal Flush [ 1 Answers ]

My friend recently rented an apartment in Akron, Ohio and tried everything to clean the pre-existing SEVERE hard water stains from the toilet with no luck. He decided the only remedy would be to get a new toilet since he was so embarrassed by the unsightly appearance. He contacted the landlord to...

Toilet flush [ 1 Answers ]

Every time I flush my toiet cistern, it makes a load groaning noise sounds like there is an airlock. This can be stopped by turning the cold tap on full in the kitchen. How do I stop this problem?? I live in a flat if this makes a difference. Many thanks

Hard to flush [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old house with a brand new septic system... from septic tank through drain field. My toilet does not flush properly. It starts to flush, but stops about half way through. There is also a gurgling noise coming up through the shower drain right next to the toilet. I thought it might be...

View more questions Search