Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Lump On Back Of Head
    I recently found a "large" lump on the back of my head. The lump is on the right side, about an inch above my hairline. The lump is hard, I already made an doctors appointment for later this week, but I was just wondering if I was just overreacting. I basically never get headaches, but since I found the lump I have felt pressure on my forehead. I'm not sure if I'm just imagining the pressure and being paranoid. Can you tell me what it could possibly be? Thanks!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 4, 2007, 06:24 PM
    It is very possibly a sebaceous cyst, which is basically a clogged oil duct. Probably nothing, but worth getting checked out anyway.

I had 3 of them surgically removed a few years ago.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 06:41 PM
    mmm pressure on the forehead? Seems a little more complicated than cystic ( as suggested by J_9 above), this will need imaging-suggest Ultrasound and if need be cranial x-ray.

I just reread the post-the position seems to agree with J_9!

My concern was if the lump is higher (occipital).

I have seen a lady who had let a lump on her head grow for 15 years (because she was too embarrassed to tell the doctor) it turned necrotic and erupted from her head as a tumour-we MRI'd her and the prospects were not good because she let it go.

Please get the lump seen to while it is treatable!
    Expert

Jun 4, 2007, 06:47 PM
    X-ray, I was wondering if the pressure was subconscious because he found the lump and then began having the headache. My position may be a little different if the headaches were felt first.

But I agree with what you are saying too! Good post!
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 08:24 PM
    J_9 Thanks,

It is possibly psychosomatic-yes.

If the lump was of sudden onset-acute, I'd say sebaceous cyst, but if it has been some time-chronic, mmm I'd get it seen to pronto.

Regards
    Expert

Jun 4, 2007, 08:38 PM
    Well, you know x-rays, lol. I was speaking from experience as I have had 3 cysts removed. They grew over a period of years. The doc explained to me that sometimes the "root" (the part of the cyst under the skin) can be 3x deeper than what we can see.

When he took them out he showed them to me (I was only under a local) WOW, HUGE, I HAD NO IDEA!!

He explained that these are very common
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 10:08 PM
    Hey, you'd have way more of an idea than I! I had seven moles cut out of my back (assuming they were cancerous) scary shiite! So I know what you mean, when you see the items removed !

Cheers
    jansaunders Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2011, 06:46 AM
    I have found a lump on the back of my head , rite side wer the scull bone is ,its not on both sids its tender to the touch and hard and I'm having fuzzy headaches on that side of head thank you , jan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lump on back of baby's head [ 13 Answers ]

My daughter is almost 10 months old. She has a cold--stuffy nose, slight cough.. etc.etc. your basic stuff. I noticed that she has a lump on the back of her head. Smack in the middle, just above the neck (but on the head not neck) smaller than the size of a pea. It feels like a swollen lymph node,...

Lump on back of infant's head [ 5 Answers ]

I have 5 1/2 month twin girls. One of my daughter's has a small lump on the back of her head right in the middle and above her neck. It is hard and the size of a pea. She doesn't flinch when we touch it and seems to be oblivious to the lump. We are very worried and don't know if we should bring...

Lump on back of head [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am 26 year old female and for the past year I have had swollen lymph nodes on my neck, I also had a hard lump on my chest. Eight months ago I went to see my doctor and was referred for tests. The results of the tests were that the lump on my chest is cartlidge and the swollen glands are...

Lump on back of head [ 1 Answers ]

I discovered a lump on the back of my head last night. It is about the size of a quarter and is hard not moving. It is a little bit above my neck and centered. Could this be the cause of an infection or something else? If something else, what? Thanks. :)

Lump on back of head [ 4 Answers ]

I am 14 years old. Recently, lots of my lymph nodes have swollen up. This was about a week ago. Now, a lump has appeared, as if from nowhere on the back of my head. The lump is hard and non-moveable. It is not painful if left alone but when pressure is applied it can be felt. Is this connected to...

View more questions Search