Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lanejlane Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Keep cats off my car
    How do I keep my neighbors cats off my hood of my car without harming them?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 1, 2007, 12:19 PM
    Cats are a different breed of animal. They come and go as they please. I don't mind the dirty little paw prints on my car.
    DocWill Posts: 239, Reputation: 40

Jun 1, 2007, 01:48 PM
    What I had to do to keep my own cats off my car was purchase a van, I have accepted my place in the cat world. Don't like it but I accept it. Countless water guns, loud music, even pepper based jelly. Cats finally won. My feline behavioral skills is no better than toe jam. Good side of all that is Jake loves the roomy van and electric windows.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2007, 05:11 PM
    If you are catching them in the act, try spraying them with the hose, or hitting the panic button on your key fob (if you have one). If you don't catch them, well... rotweiler to stand guard? KIDDING!! :)

Jun 1, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Jill lets gather up some water guns, ralley up the sharp shooters and make a gang! I declair war on kitty car graffiti! Its so on little furry criminals!

OK OK OK that probably won't transpire lets work on the guard dog idea a little more.

Cuz I have tried this battle of the bonnet and lost. I am really courious to how you actually accomplish this.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2007, 06:29 PM
    I don't think you do! :) Kitties have minds of their own (mine certainly does) and think that objects are placed for THEM and HOW DARE YOU tell them they cannot go there??

The cat I had growing up once got in the neighbor's car, curled up in the back window and fell asleep. As soon as they started the car, she spazzed out and flew out the window. I don't think she ever got in their car again.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2007, 06:39 PM
    I have heard (but have no idea if it actually works!) that leaning something like a rake or broom against the car, so that the handle sticks up, discourages cats from getting on them. I have no idea why this would work, but it's something that you could try fairly easily.
    Ladyviper Posts: 221, Reputation: 36

Jun 1, 2007, 06:39 PM
    I don't know anything about this, but there are these ultrasonic devices that are supposed to keep critters away. You can get them for cats that are motion sensored, and they let off I high pitch noise that the cat can hear but you cannot. Just thought that maybe you would want to do some research on them. I threw in a couple of links for you, hope this helps. Now if you could help me keep the cat off the cabinet mounted paper towel dispenser... lol
    Cat Stop Cat Repellent. # 1 Cat Repellent on the market! 30 Day Gurantee!

CatScram
    It says they are safe and effective, but you may want to ask Doc about that, he is the resident expert.
    Ladyviper Posts: 221, Reputation: 36

Jun 2, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Dang... lol Well, it was worth a try anyway!

Jun 2, 2007, 06:49 PM
    I don't know anything about the noise thingy, becides a cat who can honestly say it works or not, that of course if you have cat like hearing. If I can't hear it how is my cat going to hear it? I say this because my cat never listens to me!
    misswings Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Put a toy snake on the hood and on the trunk of your car. You can also use an old piece of garden hose cut the length of a snake. I have used this in the past. Found out recently I need to try it again. It's worth a try if you hate cat prints on your car!! I also used a spray bottle that sprays a stream and would spray and yell "get off my cat" or whatever.
    cheezomlet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2009, 08:51 AM
    I bought a motion sensor and added a PA horn to it, it works, but... he found a spot on the hood it does not sense, so I had to adjust it so there are no dead areas (hang from roof)
    Expert

Oct 30, 2009, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezomlet View Post
    I bought a motion sensor and added a PA horn to it, it works, but.... he found a spot on the hood it does not sense, so I had to adjust it so there are no dead areas (hang from roof)
    Hi, cheez, this is a really old thread, from 2007 and not likely OP will be back. It would be helpful if you started your own new thread with this information so everyone can access it.

Tick
    killerbee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2009, 05:53 PM
    How about a .22 rifle?
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2009, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    How about a .22 rifle?
    How about you take your smartass comments elsewhere?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2009, 01:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    How about a .22 rifle?
    If only... people shouldn't have cats if they are going to let them roam and annoy the neighbours.

I vote a cat trap and a trip to the pound.
    Expert

Dec 20, 2009, 04:48 AM

I know this is an old thread but couldn't help commenting. One of the homey chracteristics of a neighbourhood is cat tracks on the hood and roof of a car. It isn't like they are damaging anything. Its actually one of lifes little foibles that I don't mind.

Tick
    mitch9151 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2010, 05:51 PM
    Its not just dirty little paws for me, they seem to slide of the car when they get off. Its leaving many scratches that don't buff out. Try icy cold water, lots of it, and soak the cat every time you see it on the car. It will stop sooner or later ;)
    kyleallen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2011, 04:15 AM
    My cat always scratches my car by sitting on the bonnet.. she doesn't get on anymore as every time I saw her I would give her a smack on the upper back leg near her tail.. only took few times and she knew then and never seen her on there again.
    kyleallen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2011, 04:17 AM
    I just smacked my cat every time I saw her and took few times and she don't do it anymore.. not hard enough to be cruel but enough to scare her and just yelled get off the car and never seen her on there again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buy Another Car or Use Existing Car 'til It Runs No More [ 7 Answers ]

Please help me resolve a debate with my husband. I am a first time car owner. I bought a new Jeep in 8/04 for $23,600. I put $5K down on the purchase + my loan is for 60 months. I would like to trade in the liberty before it gets too old + has too many miles on it. Does it make better sense to...

Car battery or car generator [ 4 Answers ]

How do you tell if you need a new generator or battery? t-you

Car Loan and Car Title - Minnesota Law [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My fiancé and I recently bought a car on a Saturday. We live in Minnesota. At first, the finance guy at the car dealership told us the financing will be done through Wells Fargo. After spending close to 4 hours at there and hearing it was a reputable bank that we both bank through -- we...

My new female cats hates all my male cats! [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a new female cat but she is like a year old, all my male cats like her and want to see her buy she just starts hissing at them and they get away... I want them to get along but I don't know how... I have 4 males one is a year old , the othere one is 5 months and the other 2 are 2...

Car accident while friend is in the car [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about what the case would be if I got into a car accident, mine or another drivers fault, with a friend in the car that is mine but in my Mother's name. I have been reading a little bit into insurance, I think I understand how it would work and come into play a little bit. What...

View more questions Search