Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saharanz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2004, 02:01 PM
    Dog stopped eating
    My 12 year old dog stopped eating about 3 days ago. When I got o feed him he still gets really excited like normal but then doesn't touch his food. I feed him dry biscuits in the morning and dog roll at night and he hasn't touched anything. Otherwise he seems normal and nothing else has changed. Should I be worried or will he eat on his own when he gets hungry enough?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2004, 04:42 PM
    Re: Dog stopped eating
    I think a 12 year old that suddenly quits eating needs to see a vet. This could be one of a number of things, some of which are treatable. With a younger dog, I would refer you to a web site on maintaining proper weight and suggest waiting him out.
    MrPippin Posts: 87, Reputation: 17
    -

Jun 1, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Labman is absolutely correct. A 12 year old dog that suddenly stops eating needs to see the vet ASAP. There are some very serious conditions that could be causing this issue. Hopefully it is a minor problem, but with a 12 year old (equivalent to 61 human years old) it should not be ignored.
    DocWill Posts: 239, Reputation: 40

Jun 1, 2007, 04:11 PM
    2 red flags
    "My 12 year old dog "
    "stopped eating about 3 days ago"
    Before you race down to his vet, look around for anything unusual, missing children, damaged plants, Headless armymen, dead bugs, secret santa (neighbor supplying anything the dog will swallow) Hole in the back of the 60lb feed bag. Don't laugh aside from the missing children, others I listed have been the cause of suspected anarexia. Arm yourself with time lines events and different behavior to help your vet. I have a feeling If we ask your dog these things, its mums the word. It won't hurt to see his blood chemistry anyway according to his age. Let us know what the results are after the visit. Good Luck!
    suesrong Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2010, 09:41 PM
    How long do they live if they stop eating?
    11 yr old Dog F. Lab/beagle mix
    suesrong Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2010, 09:43 PM

How long will your dog live if it stops eating? Lab/beagle mix 11years old F.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2010, 09:53 PM

Not long.
    How long has she not been eating, and why haven't you taken her to the vet yet?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My pitbull stopped eating 2 DAYS AGO, WHAT DO I DO? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old female pitbull. I just noticed that yesterday morning, when I put the dog outside on her lead, that her food, from the previous day is still there. She is drinking a lot of water. She will not even eat people food! What do I do. We are taking her to the vet, but what can I...

Tub stopped up [ 4 Answers ]

I've got a problem with my tub being stopped up. We just recently moved into a new apartment that for some unknown does not have any type of cover or anything in the bath tub. Anyway yesterday my son took his bath and then the tub cover that I had been using slid over and allowed a wash cloth to...

My 2 year old stofordshire bull terrier has stopped eating. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello my Staffordshire bull terrier has stopped eating anything. I have tried tempting him with his favorite treat (mature cheder cheese) but he won't touch it, he is quite large for his age (nearly fully grown) and is naturally active and playful all of the time even now when he hasn't been...

It stopped.. [ 2 Answers ]

Okay so I posted something about my dryer making this horrendous squeaking noise and I didn't know if it was safe to use or not. Well I finally said forget it, I have to dry some clothes... so I started it an of course it made it this horrible squeaking, but then it stopped... the dryer is still...

AC Compressor stopped [ 2 Answers ]

My compressor has completely stopped. I can here it surge like it wants to, but nothing happens. I am inside the house when I here this. The unit in the house works, just not the compressor outside. It is new, as this is a new residence, not even a year old. It is 100 degrees here today in...

View more questions Search