Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seworthy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 11:11 AM
    12.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Smokes fom Time to Time
    This engine apprears to start and run fine. However, from time to time it will smoke like a freight train then clear up and be find. This may occur several times in a two hour period. Any sujections on what may be the cause? Thanks for your Help!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 14, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Does it appear to lose a little power when it starts smoking? Could be your needle valve and float are allowing some intermitent flooding.

Mar 14, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Yes... I have to stop the blade until it clears up. Do you think the carb needs cleaning and rebuilting? What are you thoughts on the crankcase breather? Thanks Again for your help!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 14, 2007, 03:54 PM
    I'd clean the carb first and partially disassemble. I tend to use Gumout as a spray carb cleaner when I can't get my hands on real carb cleaner. Remove the fuel line to the carb and spray generous amounts of cleaner into the carb with the bowl removed. Be very careful about spray back that could get you in the eyes. No ideas come to mind regarding the breather, neverran into problems yet.

Mar 14, 2007, 06:37 PM
    Thanks ballengerb1 I take your advise and give it a try. Thanks Again!
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2007, 12:56 AM
    What color smoke? Black or white/blue?

Mar 21, 2007, 06:43 PM
    Blue/white in color
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Mar 21, 2007, 09:49 PM
    It sounds as if you are suffering from overfull of oil, possibly from a needle in the carb leaking as ballengerb1 stated. Check the float and se if it has fluid in it or sinks (let float in gas 1/2 hour) check the crankcase for fuel in the oil by smelling it and change it as well.

Hope this helps
    Don

Mar 22, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Thanks to all for everyone's help. It turns out my son did in fact overfill the crankcase will oil. Drained crankcase... oil appeared OK and had no smell of gas. Refilled to proper level problem is now corrected. Thanks Again!
    clueless_guy_2007 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 01:26 PM
    Yea any time the smoke is blue/white it is oil as opposed to black which would be flooding... by the way... brake parts cleaner is the best thing I have found to remove any type of debris from the carb such as hard deposits or gummy old gasoline. Clean the carb in a well ventilated area if you use that or you might kill brain cells... it can also cause fires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

18.5 hp briggs & stratton [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 18.5 hp Briggs & Stratton model # 31P777, type # 0348-E1 that is blowing oil out of the screen on the fuel pump. It will blow out about 1 pint by the time I finish cutting my yard. Any ideas?

Briggs & Stratton 16.5 OHV [ 19 Answers ]

I have a B&S 16.5 OHV MTD Yardman that will not turn over even though the starter and battery are OK. It will turn to a point and then stops. If I remove the spark plug it turns freely like it should. I know that removes the pressure in the cylinder but I don't know what could cause it to bind...

Briggs & stratton 12.5 [ 8 Answers ]

My husband has an MTD with a b and s 12.5. It has run weill with some babying for a while, now. One day he was running ti and he heard a loud POP , and that was the end. It has new solenoid, starter, bettery and a few other things . The key is it is GETTING gas into the bowl, but not going ...

Briggs &stratton 15 hp. [ 1 Answers ]

The other day this engine just quit and I had no spark from the coil. It has the electronic ignition so I cleaned everything under the flywheel and put it back thinking that this must be the problem but no. There is a small wire that goes to the coil and when I pull it off it will fire. I found two...

Briggs & stratton 16hp [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Cub Cadet which had a 16hp BS motor with points. It went bad so I found another 16hp BS that does not have points, it has the magnetron ignition. I am having trouble getting it to fire, is there something that I need to change to the wiring to make it fire. The magnetron engine came...

View more questions Search