Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cheliboo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Squirrels in between my roof and the ceiling walls of my Attic
    Hi,

I am a first time home owner and I've been hearing what sounds like squirrels running across the bedrooms & bathroom ceiling. When I go in the attic there's nothing there and no way for a squirrel to get in but I hear them in the ceiling of the attic so I pound on the walls and you can hear them scatter but eventually they just come back. I've looked outside on the roof when this happens too and they aren't on the roof. This was a foreclosure home and I believe it was vacant for almost 2 years. These squirrels are making me wish I never bought a home.

What should I do?:mad:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 30, 2007, 11:50 AM
    They will likely leave on their own as the attic heats up over the summer. You can help this along by going to the sportings goods store hunting section, buy a bottle of fox urine. Put the uring on a few rags and toss into the attic. They will leave and then you must find where they got in. This is most likely a failed soffit vent or piece of fascia. Once they are out you must close the opening or they will return with the kids in the fall.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Another fine answer above.

Squirrels will be able to get into small openings of which you may not be aware. My neighbor next door swears that he sufficiently covered an opening under a dormer of his home with metal fencing where I noticed squirrels getting in. To this day, I still watch a squirrel climb right up his stucco siding and go around the barrier that he had placed there.

In an old farmhouse that I used to live in for eleven years, I had squirrels everywhere (except directly in the house.) They were in the walls and in the ceilings. I even had urine spots on the ceilings.

One of the ways that they were getting in was by means of an old wooden eaves trough. A hole had formed and they found it. When I covered the hole with wood, they next day I found that they had chewed a round hole in the wood that I had placed over the hole! So, it was best that I not use wood to cover the hole.
    Cheliboo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Hi ballengerb1:

They're not in the actual attic they are somewhere between the attic and the roof.
    By getting fox urine and soaking rags and putting them just in the attic make them go away or should they be tossed into the gutters?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 30, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Sounds like you may have a finished attic with a ceiling, right? You want to get the urine soaked rags to where they sleep and have their nest. The smell frightens them since they think they are being stalked. They also don't like rock music played via a transitor radio, but maybe you don't like it either.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2007, 02:27 PM
    I had a similar problem. Several years ago I had purchased a foreclosure that was vacant for at least 1 1/2 years. You need an exterminator to come. They will place have a heart traps on the outside of your home, then once they find the hole they came into your home with. They should place this mesh guard that lets them exit bet not re enter. That is what we did, and it worked. I would not wait for them to leave on their own. They could be eating your wires up there. So get them out as soon as possible. Once they leave I would go up and inspect the damage.
    erika8988 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 05:06 AM
    Do not bee fools by temporary fixes like urine. The will come back in the Winter and leave for the summer.
    Get a professional, a GOOD one. It will take several visits to clean up the problem.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 29, 2009, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by erika8988 View Post
    Do not bee fools by temporary fixes like urine. The will come back in the Winter and leave for the summer.
    Get a professional, a GOOD one. It will take several visits to clean up the problem.
    They've probably found that out already. They asked the question two and a half years ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Popping Roof/attic noise [ 11 Answers ]

Hi all. I have an on going problem with my roof/attic. I live in a timber framed house,5 years old. About 7 or 8 months ago a very loud popping noise started to occur in my roof. The problem seems to be thermal related. During the day it doesn't happen as often, but it does happen. But at night...

Squirrels getting into attic [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, we have squirrels getting into our attic. My husband has repaired their holes several times and they just chew a hole in another place in the eave of the house. They have chewed our phone line into. Now one has tried to chew their way into the ceiling of one of the guess bedrooms. We bought...

Squirrel in ceiling and walls of my mobile home [ 3 Answers ]

:eek: I have squirels in my ceiling and walls of my mobile home I hear them at night. They make a lot of noise gnawing. They run back and forth in the ceiling. I am so afraid that they are going to cause a fire. I read a lot of posts and the answers aren't really specific to my problem. How...

How Do I Tape Walls To Spray Ceiling ? [ 3 Answers ]

Help ! We Have Popcorn Ceiling And Had The Bright Idea To Buy A Sprayer And Try Spraying Them Ourself. Good Idea Except We Can't Seem To Figure Out The Best Way To Tape The Walls Up To Keep Excess Paint Off Them. 1- What Should We Use ? (paper , Plastic,. ) 2- What's The Best Thing To Hold It In...

Drain vent leaking water in attic and onto ceiling [ 13 Answers ]

I noticed a leak on my bedroom ceiling and traced it to a drain ventilation system looping though my attic. It does not seem to be connected to the main vent stack. It seems to be leaking at an elbow joint. The drain vent is PVC and I'm guessing is connected to my tub and washer drains and...

View more questions Search