Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angell2me Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Bacterial Vaginosis and HIV
    I'm a 27 year old women living in the tropics... and a few weeks ago I was diagnoised with BV and Flagyl 400, Batrafen Vaginal Cream along with Fluconozole were prescribed by my Dr. I was doing my own research and read a blog where someone said that BV was a symptom of HIV... NOW I'M WORRIED LIKE HELL!. please tell me is this true... is it a fact that once you have BV that obviously means that you are HIV positive... please answer soon...

Worried:(
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 27, 2007, 01:36 PM
    The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has valid information on Bacterial Vaginosis. Below is the link for the information you need. The CDC does state that "having BV can increase a woman's susceptibility to HIV infection if she is exposed to the HIV virus."
    Note that - IF she is exposed to the HIV. It does NOT mean she has HIV.

STD Facts - Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)
    angell2me Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 09:26 AM
    shygrneyzs,
    Thank you thank you thank you a MILLION THANK YOU'S... I feel soooo much more confident about going and getting tested... now that I think about it I guess I misunderstood what the site said... if you want you can check it out and tell me what you think... here's the link... Associated Conditions of Bacterial vaginosis - WrongDiagnosis.com
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 29, 2007, 06:05 AM
    BV is one of those risk factors associated with transmission of the HIV. Having BV puts you into a higher category of risk for acquiring HIV but you still would need to be exposed to the HIV. Your doctor has prescribed some strong medications that should take care of the BV. Keep in contact with your doctor to report anything you question, any further symptoms, and how to safeguard yourself against any further infections. Sometimes a woman can contract BV even when she is wearing an IUD (for birth control).
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2007, 06:57 AM
    Hi, I just wanted to say that I have BV and I DO NOT have HIV. I have been tested - and it came back negative.
    Actually, This is the first time I have ever heard that the two are linked. Or that you could contract HIV easier if you have BV. So, I have learned something.

But, like I said - I have had BV for years - but am HIV free.
    Hope this helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Questions about Bacteriel Vaginosis... [ 14 Answers ]

Okay so this is embarrassing but here goes... So I went to the doctors in August because I had a white discharge and a fishy odor. She diagnosed me with BV and gave me 1week worth of pills that I take twice a day. I took them as directed and immediately the odor went away but the discharge stayed....

Bacterial Infection [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what PSEUDOMO is,and how is it treated

Bacterial infection [ 3 Answers ]

I had a bacterial vaginal infection diagnosed 2 weeks ago. Saw the dr. got medicine. It cleare d up, now it's back. I have another appt. next week, but why does this keep happening. I wash everyday, keep myself clean etc. :confused: :confused:

Hiv question [ 1 Answers ]

I have a serious question... the other day I fooled around with a guy named Russ, now when he was 17 (24 now) he used to be a call boy.. he told me that he knew a guy named benny who had had sexual encounters with a guy named jake... this guy russ messed around with jake... at that time benny...

View more questions Search