Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debdeb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 01:38 AM
    Water in toilet does not shut off when tank is full
    My husband fixed ( hahaha) my toilet about a year ago and ever since then the water does not shut off once the tank is full. Is something set up wrong? I am having to turn on the water at the main valve, fill up the tank, flush, then turn water back off every time I use the toilet. Please help me.
    chippers Posts: 440, Reputation: 88

May 28, 2007, 02:09 AM
    A leaky toilet can add up to big bucks if you pay a water bill. A continuing running toilet can run you into thousands of dollars in water bills. That can be easily fixed by relpacing the parts inside the tank. Go to home depot and they'll explain how to do it. Then let hubby watch you do it right the first time.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 28, 2007, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by debdeb
    My husband fixed ( hahaha) my toilet about a year ago and ever since then the water does not shut off once the tank is full. Is something set up wrong? I am having to turn on the water at the main valve, fill up the tank, flush, then turn water back off every time I use the toilet. Please help me.
    What you have is a faulty ballcock or the one hubby replaced has something in the seat that will not allow the washer to seat firmly. The solution would be to replace the ball cock. Good luck. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Water Shut Off Valve [ 7 Answers ]

Greetings, After shutting off the water to the Toilet to fix something, the shutoff valve now leaks. I tried to tighten the packing nut - no luck - the pipe was starting to turn and I didn't want to break the pipe behind the wall. So... I unscrewed the packing nut and went shopping for a new...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Hot water shut off valve and main water line [ 8 Answers ]

I was in my way to replace faucet for basin, but my local hot water shut off valve is not working. So now I have to shut off water supply from main line. Where would that be? I have old house and my water meter is out side. Also how to change shut off valve?

Toilet has no water. Tank is full. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ! We have a second home. After not being there for several weeks we noticed that the upstairs toilet had no water in it. The tank is full but the toilet is empty. What could be the cause of this? Is something clogged? Thanks Mimi

Where's toilet shut off valve? [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot find a valve to shut off my constantly running toilet, till the plumber can arrive. Every other place I've lived has had a separate shutoff valve for each toilet, sink, etc. I've looked in, under & around the back of the tank, but there is no valve on the pipe in the bathroom. I've also...

View more questions Search