Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimi Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2004, 12:47 PM
    How do I sharpen table saw blade
    Can someone explain how to sharpen carbide tipped 10" table saw blades?
    I have a grinder and a Dremel tool, and I would like to sharpen my blade myself. Please indicate if there is an angle to the tips, just the outer edge sharpened? Please tell me step by step. Thanks.
    PKoopmans Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Feb 27, 2005, 09:20 PM
    How to sharpen a carbide blade
    This is not my information, but I wanted to find out the answer and found it elsewhere. I am sharpening my blades now with a diamond wheel attachment to my Dremel that I bought at Harbor Freight for $4.99 for 5 wheels. They last a long time and work very quickly. I can sharpen a 10" in under 5 minutes. I found that the equipment to do it professionally costs over $5000. Mine is not a precision, but it works.

Dealing With 'Dull Carbide'
    ---------------------------

As late as the early 1980's, high speed steel (HSS) router bits and
    Saw blades were still the norm, and carbide-tipped cutters were
    More or less reserved for 'serious' shops. Times have changed,
    Thankfully, and research into new forms of carbide and new processes
    Used to manufacture the materials have made carbide the most cost-
    Efficient cutter material for just about anybody's shop needs.
    Strangely enough, though, (at least in my mind), there is still a
    Rather powerful mystique surrounding carbide tooling which causes most
    Woodworkers to believe that sharpening dull carbide tipped bits and
    Blades is something that must be done by commercial sharpening shops.

This couldn't be further from the truth, and I think most people, with
    Reasonable care, can get much better results by doing the job themselves
    Than they're likely to get from a sharpening service. I know that's
    Held true in my own experience.

There are a number of different grades of carbide commonly used in saw
    Blades, router bits, and shaper cutters, but they all share the basic
    Qualities of superior hardness, heat resistance, and brittleness. All
    Require diamond stones to sharpen and hone their edges, but fortunately,
    The diamond abrasives needed are not expensive, and for the cost of one
    Decent router bit, you can buy a pair of diamond hones that will sharpen
    Dozens of carbide tips many times over. The hones I prefer are called
    'paddle hones' -- basically a flat plastic stick, one end of which has
    A diamond embedded metal pad attached. Using them is quite straight-
    Forward, as you'll see shortly.

First, though, it's worthwhile noting that since carbide tools last much
    Longer than HSS tooling, they have a much greater opportunity to become
    Fouled by resins and oils that occur naturally in woods. These resins
    Adhere to the teeth, the heat from friction hardens them, and they actually
    May cause a blade or bit to seem dulled, even though it isn't. Your first
    Course of action, then, should be to examine your carbide tips often, and
    Clean them regularly. Soaking the tool or blade in a citrus oil soap is
    The best method I've found for cleaning cutters. Most solvents will also
    Work, but the one time I used lacquer thinner to clean some sawblades, it
    Took the labelling right off the blades in a matter of minutes, and from
    That point on I've used the citrus oil route. In any case, a 15 to 30
    Minute soaking followed by a light scrubbing with a toothbrush or a small
    Brass-bristled brush will remove any gunk that's likely to be found on your
    Carbide tooling. You may find that the tool wasn't even dull at all, and
    That nothing further is needed for the moment. Note that before cleaning
    Or sharpening bearing-guided bits and cutters, the bearing should first be
    Removed so as not to compromise its lubrication.

Should you choose to touch up the edges, it's a very simple procedure. All
    Carbide router bits and shaper cutters have flat faces supporting the edge.
    It's this 'leading' face of the bit, opposite the bevelled, or trailing face
    That you want to dress. Take a medium diamond hone, wet it in either plain
    Water or slightly soapy water, and begin honing the flat face. Don't worry
    About the bevel -- with carbide, there is no burning of the bevel and no wire
    Edge to concern yourself with, so treat it as though you were flattening the
    Back of a chisel or plane iron. Keep the surface wet, and stop honing as
    Soon as the surface has a uniform sheen and color, then move on to the next
    Face. You may be surprised that it only takes a few strokes from the hone to
    Dress the face, but resist the temptation to continue, or you risk shortening
    The life of the cutter by changing its profile. Repeat the honing with a fine
    Diamond paddle, and if you really want to do the job right, follow up with an
    Ultra-fine. The edge is not going to feel as sharp as a well-honed high speed
    Steel edge, and indeed, it won't be. It wasn't when the tool was brand new,
    Either, and it never will be -- that's the limitation inherent in carbide, at
    Least for the present. But it will be sharp -- if you've been careful, it will
    Almost certainly be as sharp or sharper than it was when it was brand new.

For the carbide tips on saw blades, the procedure is almost identical. Hone
    The flat, leading faces of the tips, taking care to keep the hone flat against
    The face of the carbide. Unlike HSS blades, carbide blades cut along the sides
    The teeth as well as along the tips, so be careful not to round these edges over
    As you work. Do not attempt to hone the side faces of the carbide tips -- those
    Edges will naturally sharpen as the face of the tooth is dressed. When you've
    Finished honing the tooth faces with the fine or ultra-fine paddles, you may
    Find it necessary to just touch the top of the tooth with the extra-fine hone.
    If you choose to do this, again be very careful to just barely polish the carbide.
    Any more than that and you risk irreparably changing the shape of the tooth. At
    All times, take care to keep the hone flat against the surface you're dressing.

And that's all there is to it. Chances are that your carbide will be every bit
    As sharp as it was when new, and it's entirely likely that it will be noticeably
    Sharper. It's almost certainly sharper than it would be after being ground by a
    Sharpening shop, and you've removed far less carbide, increasing the life and
    Accuracy of the tool. Practice on your oldest bits and blades first while you
    Get the hang of things, and by the time you get around to your best tooling,
    You'll be sharpening carbide better, and maybe even faster, than the pros.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2005, 10:25 PM
    Would that work on masonery bits?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2005, 07:12 AM
    Saws
    Hi, koopmans,
    Very, Very excellent answer!
    Thanks for all the information.
    fredg
    PKoopmans Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 4, 2005, 05:18 PM
    Masonary Blades
    Masonary blades are carbide also, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work on that either.
    jimusr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2007, 03:36 AM
    The diamond wheels that you refer to--- Are they Harbor Freight #31501-2VGA... If not, sure wouuld appreciate the part number. Am somewhat confused,. Thanks a bunch
    hiperf402 Posts: 106, Reputation: -1

May 26, 2007, 09:15 PM
    Stop being cheap bastards and just buy new ones. And don't use anything from harbor freight unless you want to replace it in another week.
    stairman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hiperf402
    stop being cheap bastards and just buy new ones. and don't use anything from harbor freight unless you want to replace it in another week.
    Cheap bastards? You obvious don't own too much woodworking equipment. I often pay 50% or more of the cost of the bit or blade to get them sharpened. I will be trying to sharpen my own for sure! The article is correct as my blades gunk up before they get dull. Thanks for the article!
    DWalcher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Great answer by PKoopmans. However, where do you find citrus oil soap? There are all kinds of soaps out there with lemon and orange added, but none of them list ingredients. Do you have a brand name or is the above adequate. Thanks for your reply.
    rscadwell Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jimi
    Can someone explain how to sharpen carbide tipped 10" table saw blades?
    I have a grinder and a Dremel tool, and I would like to sharpen my blade myself. Please indicate if there is an angle to the tips, just the outer edge sharpened? Please tell me step by step. Thanks.
    I work for a tool sharpening company. If you are going to sharpen your blades it depends on your angles and your application (what you are using it for). Also, whether it is actually worth your while is how much you actually spend on the blade (quality) of Carbide that is on those blades. If it is a basic rip blade where the edges do not matter, then have at it. I would not run anything that is finishing under a blade that I was learning to sharpen myself. Be careful of your angles too. There are the sides, the Top Bevel (if there is an angle) and the face. All the angles are important to your cut.

You can use many different grinders and the options listed for grinding will work fine. If you want more information or ask more email me at [email protected]. Accurate Cutting Technologies Home
    yachtpaint Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Comment on PKoopmans's post
    Great answer, would have been better with a diagram for me.
    RmyronB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2009, 06:51 PM
    I used to have a sharpening business. While you can sharpen a carbide blade with a grinder or dremel, I would advise you to take it to a person with a machine to do it. Probably one time is all you would sharpen a blade by hand. The face of the tip is all you would sharpen, not the sides.

Trying to take off the same amount from the face of each tip is almost impossible free hand. Trying to keep your wheel perfectly parallel to the face is impossible. The difference that you create on each tip could be as dmaging to your blade and work as a dull blade. The load put on your saw by a dull blade or a mis-sharpened blade will cause more amperage draw and burn out the motor sooner and wear on the machines bearings.

The sound a perfectly sharpened blade makes is like wind blowing, no whine or high pitched sounds. I knew if my machines were set right when sharpening a blade by the sound it made when I put it on a machine.

I have a stack to be sharpened. I know it's worth the price to pay someone else now because I don't have the machines anymore.

I am a General Contractor and have a home wood shop. I learned a lot by having my own sharpening business years ago that helps me perserve my equipement today, long after my friends have gone through several saws.
    gasbob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 02:37 PM
    I use my truck keys to sharpen my blades. I put the key in the ignition and drive over to the businessman who makes his living at sharpening and has all the equipment and skill necessary to do the job right. Pretty easy eh?

I use my truck keys to sharpen my blades. I put the key in the ignition and drive over to the businessman who makes his living at sharpening and has all the equipment and skill necessary to do the job right. Pretty easy eh?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Weedeater Riding Mower, Blade won't engage [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Weedeater riding lawnmower model 733-848 or HD12538j. The blade will not engage and I found a spring that fell out. I can't tell by the manual where it goes.

Fan blade on my unit won't turn [ 8 Answers ]

My fan blade on my central unit won't turn. It appears it is trying to turn, so I helped it with a screw driver. The fan blade then runs with out fail, but will not cool. I was told that it might be my capacitor? Why is it when the blade turns it won't blow cold air?

Air Hockey Table... [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a website I could go to to order an Air Hockey Table. Preferably in the Dallas, Tx area, bt ne place would work

Ride on blade will not engage [ 1 Answers ]

Cadet ride on lawn mower with safety feature of disengage cutting blade... now blade will not reengage... reset button? Help !

Div Vs Table [ 3 Answers ]

Just a quick question. I've seen a few pages on the internet about using DIV tags instead of tables. Could someone just quickly tell me what's the best to use? I could imagine DIV tags would provide you more control via CSS, but I can also see that they would be a pain in the ass to use. ...

View more questions Search