Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Peping Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 03:43 AM
    How am I going to size my 3 phase X'mer with 1 phase load using current as reference
    Hi, I'm Peping:

I have 90 pieces of single phase loads with current of 2 Amperes. This will be loaded to a 3 phase transformer, Wye connected having a line to line voltage of 220 Volts. What will be the size of the transformer required for the mentioned loads?

Many thanks,

Peping
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 11, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Assuming the load needs 220 volts, 90 units at 2 amps each at 220 volt 1 phase will require 22.890 KVA minimum.

180 amps x 220 volts = 39600 VA 1 phase / 1.73 = 22890 VA or 22.89 KVA

Add at least 25% KVA to arrive at the minimum size transformer. If the loads are motors and will be started at the same time, add the locked rotor KVA to size the transformer.
    ctomasch Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 03:28 PM
    This seems to me like it is a question for school; however, I would add that in North America 220V line-to-line three phase is not a readily available voltage. The Three phase voltage which is readily available near 220V would be 208 line-to-line / 120V line-to-neutral and that transformers (around this size) are available in 30kva and 45kva (i.e. you can't get a 28kva transformer).
    ctomasch Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Also, the 1.73 comes from the square root of 3 in case you are trying to show your work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2-phase vs 3-phase degrees of separation [ 5 Answers ]

At work we have 3-phase power. I understand the oscillations are 120 degrees apart. At home I have 2-phase power. Are the oscillations 180 degrees apart? I understand the neutral on a 240v circuit should carry 0 as the phases cancel each other out. My real question is that if we have a...

Three phase vs. Single phase [ 3 Answers ]

What benefits would you have running a three phase service as opposed to running single phase.

3 Phase vs. Single Phase [ 8 Answers ]

I am struggling with the difference between 3-phase and single phase and the advantages/disadvantages to both. Could someone help me with this, or point me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

3 phase 208 volt/120 volt .load [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to hook up a commercial espresso machine which has a 220 line. My existing electrical box is a 3 phase 208 volt/120 volt. Would this be sufficient to handle this?? Thank you

Single phase power vs. Three Phase Power [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any real difference in efficiency and cost between a single phase air conditioning unit and a three phase unit? Thanks, JPGREEN

View more questions Search