Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newmommie1boy Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 01:36 PM
    My newborn baby
    My 6 week old son has really bad gas and is constipated.Its hard to get him to sleep at night because the gas and constipation keeps him up... I give him gas medicine but he still has a lot of gas.What could I do about the gas and constipation?? :confused:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 22, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Are you feeding him formula or breastfeeding?

Let's start there and we will go on from that.
    newmommie1boy Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 01:54 PM
    I am feeding him formula
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2007, 01:58 PM
    Oohh. Mylecon... I bought target brand, it was half the price and worked just as well... also try switching to soy formula. It was easier for my son to digest.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 22, 2007, 02:37 PM
    I agree with Angel above. It is possible that the forumla has iron, too much so for your baby, which would cause the constipation. Also Mylecon is good, but you must be sure you burp your baby VERY well during and after each feeding.
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

May 22, 2007, 03:33 PM
    There is also a product called Maltsupex. My doctor told me to give that to my 1 month old to keep him from getting constipated or to fix it if he did before rectal surgery. It works quickly and should help a lot. It completely flushes baby out. As it was described to me... it basically "melts" the stool inside to come out easily it doesn't just make them "go". Which we all know can be so painful. Maltsupex makes that so much easier. I would give the Maltsupex to get rid of the constipation and do what the others suggested above to ease the gas.

Since your baby is only six weeks old you can also try, if you haven't already that is, swaddling baby like a burrito in a blanket, tucking the legs up as much as you can towards the baby's chest (open leg and knee bent position) and gently bounce up and down while patting firmly but gently on the back starting at the lower back upward to the top. I have six kids and that always worked for me and my friends in helping baby release the gas.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2007, 04:46 PM
    All great ideas for gas, to create a bowl movement , place vaseline on a rectal thermometer about 1/2 an inch into his rectum and wiggle it around a bit, this helped my son with cronic constipation as an infant. If only it worked for him now!
    Rockabilly1955mama Posts: 662, Reputation: 85

May 22, 2007, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by danielnoahsmommy
    all great ideas for gas, to create a bowl movement , place vaseline on a rectal thermometer about 1/2 an inch into his rectum and wiggle it around a bit, this helped my son with cronic constipation as an infant. if only it worked for him now!
    Yes! I've read this in a health article.
    berrysweetncgurl Posts: 166, Reputation: 19

May 23, 2007, 10:06 PM
    Bicycle his little legs, my boy had real bad gas and constipation when he was a newborn, the Mylicon drops will constipate him even more, try switching formula that may be what it is, my pediatrician told me to put about 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of light Karo syrup in his bottle and mix well. Lay him across your legs on his belly and pat his back, you may get sput up on but that is better than a crying gassy baby I promise! By the way how much are you feeding him? It could be possible he is being overfed.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2007, 04:49 AM
    Yep, I forgot about the Karo syrup, we did that as well!
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2007, 05:39 AM
    It sounds to me - as other's have said - that he may have an allergy to the regular formula. Talk to your doctor - they may switch you to a soy based formula.
    Before you give your baby anything "new" - consult your pediatrician. Mylecon does work well - it was given to my daughter at the advice of my dr.
    I have never heard of the syrup idea - but whatever works - if it soothes the baby...
    Just check out anything you do with your doctor first.
    xandrea86x Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jun 5, 2007, 01:00 AM
    You can try infacol that can be used from birth and has no side affect my baby is now 12 weeks old and has been on it since she was 3 days old and for the constipation a cheap way put a little sugar or a teaspoon or pure orance juice in some cooled boiled kettle water in to his bottle and add 3 ounces of kettle water to it try the pure orange juice first it worked for my first child if not try the sugar and water if he's in too much pain with the constipation take hime doctors there may be a blockage or it could be his formula don't leave him to go too many days with out having a pooh
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Jun 5, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Mylecon drops worked wonders on my kids'. We never left home without them. Suppositories helped my son when he was constipated, but beware... when they start working you'll want to be out of the firing range. If constipation is often a problem for your infant you should discuss it with his pediatrician. They may suggest a certain type or brand of formula. If it is just once in a while it really doesn't warrant much concern, just care and relief for the baby.
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

Jun 5, 2007, 11:34 AM
    Another good option that is very cheap is try a couple small spoons of simple good ole prune baby food. No meds and helps with constipation. Can even just put it in a bottle of water and baby can drink it down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody Rights for Newborn [ 5 Answers ]

What are the general custody rights to a father of a newborn?

Newborn kitten [ 3 Answers ]

My cat just gave birth to one kitten, but the kitten appears lifeless, how do I know for sure if its alive?

A Newborn Baby [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I Would Like To Know The Minimum Age Requirement Of A Qualifying Child Because I Had My Daughter On Oct, 19 2006. Will I Be Able To Claim Her For The Year Of 2006? I Mean She Was In My Stomach The Entire Year So Does That Count As EIC?:confused:

Newborn kittens [ 2 Answers ]

My female cat gave birth to 4 kittens approximately 5 hours ago and is ignoring them. She goes into the box if someone goes into the room but other than that she seems more concerned with her 4 month old kittens, bathing and mothering them. Any help?

Newborn kittens [ 4 Answers ]

My 9 month old kitten has just had kittens(:eek: ) but she keeps leaving them and wondering around the house everyhour or so is this normal or is she rejecting them although she is still feeding them. And also when can we pick the kittens up and stroke them.

View more questions Search