Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aomoth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 10:58 AM
    Removing Moth Ball odor from a storage trunk
    I have an old storage trunk that I would like to keep all my blankets in.

Unfortunately, the previous owner used moth balls in it, and I CANNOT remove the smell. I have tried lemon juice, lots of febreeze and have been "airing it out" for weeks.

When I shut the lid to see if it worked, it still smells like moth balls.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 21, 2007, 01:54 AM
    When dealing with certain smells on things like furniture, I have had success by using clear lacquer to get rid of the smell.

You also might want to consider the following found on Care2 Greenliving :: Removing Moth Ball Odor as it would probably work for your old trunk also.

Removing Moth Ball Odor

By Annie Berthold-Bond
    I've received a number of questions from readers who need help to remove moth ball odor from baby clothes, sweaters, and other clothes stored in the pesticide. People have tried baking soda, white vinegar, as well as many days of fresh air, and nothing seems to work.

SIMPLE SOLUTION: I posed the question of how to remove moth ball odor to an indoor air quality listserve I frequent, and one professional carpet cleaner observed that for reasons nobody quite understands, although possibly because of natural ozone, placing carpets (and presumably other items) outdoors in the sun for as many days as is necessary, will remove the smell of moth balls. Note that she claims that using commercial ozone machines inside will NOT do the trick. You might try placing the clothes outside in the sun every day (bring them in at night) until the smell is gone. Note that even if the odor is removed it doesn't mean there isn't still residual moth ball chemical on the cloth.

Here are a couple other sites where the question is addressed.

Eliminating Mothball Odors

Removing Mothball Smell
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

May 22, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Try baby powder, sprinkle it all over and leave it for a couple days then vacum the smell away
    Dare13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2009, 09:25 PM

Is the moth ball chemical gone if the moth ball smell is gone?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing faucet handle after removing screw on top [ 7 Answers ]

My hot water is leaking.. I remove the top screw on the handle; the handle won`t come off.. should I try and pry it off or is there another screw somewhere that I don`t know about? This is a two handle-one spout faucet.

2003 Accord Trunk Light [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't had any problem with the radio lighting but my trunk light went out, I replaced the tiny bulb, and it still doesn't work. I tried reviewing the manual to determine where the fuse my be but the manual covers the fuses for every light BUT the trunk light. Does anyone know which fuse number...

Using CD-RW for data storage [ 1 Answers ]

What do I need to do to use a CD-RW, out of its packing, to be able to save files to it, for transfer to another computer? I know that, in the old days of floppies, they needed to be formatted. Does the same thing apply to CD-RW's? If so, what are the steps I need to go through to do this? ...

View more questions Search