Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jann Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2005, 11:18 PM
    Washing Car Engine
    A few years ago I read about washing car engines. I remember that there is a part that must be protected from water (the instructions were to cover it with plastic sheet and seal the edges of the plastic with tape), but I can't remember what that part is. Can anyone tell me?

Also, I would appreciate it if you gave me a general idea of where that part is located since I know some, but not a lot about car engines.

My car is a 1989 Madza 626 4dr.

All help will be greatly appreciated.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2005, 04:07 AM
    Actually there are several things that are recommended to be covered: The distributor, wires, etc.

There are a variety of degreaser sprays that are meant for car engines; available at WalMart, AutoZone, etc.

All of them list various things that ought to be covered.

You'll spray it on a the cool engine, let it foam up for several minutes, then rinse it off with a fine spray from a hose.

Do not spray it on a hot engine. The stuff can easily catch fire when it comes in contact with hot parts like the exhaust manifold.

After that, be sure to drive it around a bit to dry everything off.

Aug 25, 2005, 06:42 AM
    Thanks, rickj
    Your answer is very helpful. I did not know foam is available at auto parts stores. I will not spray it on a hot engine; thanks for the warning.

If you are willing, please answer this: I don't have access to a hose (live in apt. complex). Can I just pour water from a container to rinse it off (I could pour water on each area 3-4 times) or do I need several minutes of spray on each area to get foam off? Is foam difficult to get off and is it corrosive if I don't get it completely off?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2005, 06:54 AM
    You can probably pick up a plastic watering can and use it. Less likely to cause problems than a hose. Newer cars do not have a distributor, and some do not have spark plug wires. If you car has spark plug wires, cover what ever they come out of. If your engine has sort of a plate on the top of the engine with a few small wires going under it, do not run water under it.

Aug 25, 2005, 07:26 AM
    Clear answer, labman
    My car has spark plug wires that come out of something (Part 1) and go into the part where oil is added (Part 2). I can cover Part 1, where the spark plug wires start. Thanks for suggestion about watering can.

Thanks for explaining on my level.

Jann
    badpenny Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Sep 14, 2005, 04:05 AM
    Alternative long method. Take an afternoon
    Another method you could attempt, (being that you are in an apartment complex) they tend to frown on any automobile being serviced.
    Take your car to a carwash(do it yourself) let the car cool down to the touch, wrap all electrical in plastic (battery and any open connections and anything electrical. Utilize the foaming pressure washer to clean the engine bay. Car washes are monitered by the EPA and just like gas stations have filters that catch the runoff.

Sep 14, 2005, 10:18 AM
    Thanks for Suggestion
    Appreciate you're the details so I can understand exactly what you mean. Thanks.
    Jann
    thomas27 Posts: 25, Reputation: 5

Nov 2, 2005, 01:04 PM
    I don't know much about cars
    But I have always been told not to "clean" your engine esp. with chemicals. Obviously many people so it must not be too harmful. However if you don't have a show car than chance's are it's going to get dirty. I have a 99' chrysler, I keep it somewhat "clean" by a simple wipe down with an old damp towel.
    tomwiller Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2010, 01:42 AM
    To soften the grease and grunge that collects in the engine compartment you should start the engine and let it run for a few minutes and then shut it off. If you can just hold your hand on engine without burning, then it is warm enough to clean. The proper temperature for cleaning the engine is warm but not hot. While the engine is cooling down you will want to cover the openings on the motor that you do not want to get water in. These include the air intake/ air filter, the distributor, the coil and the oil dip stick/breather. You can use baggies and rubber bands to cover the openings. You also want to check the tightness of the oil filter cap, power steering cap, windshield washer fluid cap, battery filler caps and all other caps.

More how to proper cleaning of car engine here:

http://www.dccarcare.com/tipowk/tipowk13.html
    http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Car-Engine
    ahmedsale Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2011, 04:11 AM
    Lun pe charo saare

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine Box [ 10 Answers ]

Greetings. My basement has an overhead Sewer pipe going out to the front. Therefore, if I want a washing machine in the Basement, I have to pump the discharge up and out in some way. Right now, the discharge goes to the sump pump hole and then is pupmed out. I want to install a washing...

Washing up liquid [ 2 Answers ]

What washing up liquid are you supposed to use? Can you use any?

1994 Civic - Check Engine "Orange" lamp and Engine revs when idling [ 1 Answers ]

Two questions realting to my Honda Civic ESI - 1994 model. 1) When I turn on the ignition key there is a Check Engine lamp displayed in Orange which is remaining On for progressively longer. Car not be started until this light disappears. Eventually after 3-5 seconds light turns off and engine...

Washing Machine Won't Spin [ 4 Answers ]

I have a washing machine that won’t spin on its own. I bought a front loader from Sears, says Kenmore but believe it is a Frigidaire, Model #417.41042000. When machine is in the agitate cycle, the motor will not run unless I physically help it. When it starts it only goes for about 8 seconds...

Washing machine line [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We want to run a new washing machine drain line. We're considering running a new line tying into the main. For ease, was going to run in a trench line outside the house and tie in outside, rather than Going through the slab. Is this acceptable? Our old drain line has a hole in it, did...

View more questions Search