Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcassara Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Central Heat/Air not turning on
    I recently had my system off for a couple of days. I went to go turn it on, nothing happened. My Air handler, blower and compressor do nothing. I checked all the breakers and the 2 fuses on the outside of the house. The air handler is older, but the outside compressor is only about 5 years old. Any ideas of what it couls be?

Thanks
    dandirtms Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 04:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassara
    I recently had my system off for a couple of days. I went to go turn it on, nothing happened. My Air handler, blower and compressor do nothing. I checked all the breakers and the 2 fuses on the outside of the house. The air handler is older, but the outside compressor is only about 5 years old. Any ideas of wht it couls be?

Thanks
    I had a similar problem on a unit that was not one year old. Apparently, spiders, bugs or trash had built up on the wiring (inside the AC unit) and the wiring shorted or burned out. There was electrical power reaching the unit but the problem was the shorted wiring. The new wiring harness or wires cost 30.00. Luckily, the installer did not charge me since it was under warranty but I had to pay for the wiring unit.

I am not an electrician but I can tell you there is enough electricity going to the unit to put one down. If you just want to check it out, remove the AC cover and look at the wiring to see if it is burned. Hope the information helps a bit.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 20, 2007, 04:14 PM
    If nothing at all is happening, likely it is the fuse on the control transformer. Often it is a automotive blade type in a circuit board inside the air handler near the filters. There may be helpful details in the sticky at the top of the Heating forum. If you need more help, post back with more details on your system and if it is doing anything at all.
    jcassara Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 02:46 PM
    Thanks to all, turns out there were 2 wires pinch in outsde unit. Fixed that replaced all the fuses and now works great.

Thanks for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central AC and Heat will not shut off and is blowing cool air [ 4 Answers ]

Our central air and heating system is not shutting off and it is blowing cool air. Does anyone know what causes this and how to stop it? Should we change the air filter? We have already changed the batteries in the thermostat.

Central heat blows cold air [ 13 Answers ]

We have a central ac/heat system by amana(modBMA42F10A).. ac works great.. Heat blows cold air... used last year and worked fine.. seems like heat coils are not turning on... I took them out cleaned and checked them for continuity.. put them back.. Temp limit sensor was dirty... (cleaned it...

Central Heat/blows cold air in unit downstairs [ 1 Answers ]

\ Our heating unit (central) is blowing cold air. This is only occurring in downstairs unit. There are 2 separate units in the home. Any ideas on what to do before calling an expert? The HVAC unit is all electric. It is set to Auto. We had problems with the A/C where you gad to set the...

Installing Central Heat & Air [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 100 year old, two story ranch house, with NO insulation. Currently all that warms the house is one wall heater and one (seperate) A/C. I want to install a central heat and air unit. My question is: Do I need to install the central Heat and Air PRIOR to putting in insulation? Or can...

Central heat and air [ 1 Answers ]

I'm planning on installing central heat and air in my home. My question is.. Where does the return need to be? And what size should the ducts be from the plenum to the rest of the house?

View more questions Search