Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mw101mw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Drain Line for Water Filter/Softener
    I have recently installed a whole house water filter, water softener, chlorinator and sediment filter. This was all easy plumbing with 1" PVC. My problem is that the filter has a Fleck valve with a 1/2" ID flexible plastic pipe that is used to recycle the filter. It backwashes overnight a few nights a week to recycle the filter. My problem is how to correctly install this line to my house drain line with the proper air venting that needs to be done. My main drain line is roughly 3" PVC (haven't actually read the measurement off the pipe). Currently I'm just running this drain line outside the house, but I'd really like to run it into the drain line and to my septic system so that all this water that is being pumped onto the ground doesn't become a huge mud puddle. Thanks!
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2007, 07:13 PM
    Do not connect it to the sewer, you may get a cross connection. If you must, use an indirect connection with an air gap and a trap in the tubing.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by doug238
    do not connect it to the sewer, you may get a cross connection. if you must, use an indirect connection with an air gap and a trap in the tubing.
    Yes, basically he would install a 3x2 combo aimed upright on a horizontal portion of the existing drain, then install a 2x1-1/2x2 Sanitary Tee into the top of the combo.

A 2" P-trap would be installed into the side of the tee, and an AAV would be installed into the top of the tee.

I would also recommend a 3x2 reducing coupling be installed into the riser of the 2" trap to make a funnel drain, and then hold the drain hose of the filter/softener a minimum of an 1-1/2" above the top of the funnel drain to prevent sewage from entering the filter/softener drain should the sewer line ever back up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hydrogen sulfide in water - due to water softener? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I've been trying to determine the source of a rotten eggs smell that was coming from our sinks and shower. At first I thought it was coming from the drains, and that it had to do with the septic system and/or plumbing pipes/vents. However, I have since determined that the source is the...

Installation of Water Softener Drain [ 3 Answers ]

I want to install a drain for a water softener in my garage. Ideally, I would like to tie this into a permanent waste pipe to a nearby sink (or shower). I have outlined in the link below my proposed layout. Is there any issues with it? Specifically, will the vent for the existing fixture be...

Basement Washer/Softener drain running slowly. [ 2 Answers ]

The drain for my Water Softener, Washer, and basement sink sits behind my washer. It is a 2 inch PVC pipe that comes out of the wall, has a visible trap, and stands vertically about 2 feet. The washer drains into the top and the Softener and sink water enter the pipe through a PVC that joins the...

Vanity drain line and water supply [ 5 Answers ]

Tom, I have a couple of questions for you. I am installing a double simk vanity. What is the standard for the drain line coming through the wall, as far as how high off the floor, and how far through the wall should it protrude for the trap adapter etc. same thing for the supply lines coming...

View more questions Search