Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmrsfinch Posts: 3, Reputation: 3

May 19, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Can you really sue someone that is having an affair with your spouse?
    Is there really a way to sue the people your husband is having affairs with? What would be the grounds?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 19, 2007, 10:54 AM
    It used to be that adultery was punishable in a court of law. You would need to check your state's law concerning adultery.

State Adultery Laws

Here are some articles on adultery:

Adultery - By Franklin Foer - Slate Magazine
    adultery: Definition and Much More from Answers.com
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2007, 01:02 PM
    Cmrs, shygrney has given you some great links. Just as an FYI, depending on your state laws, a person may be able to sue another for "alienation of affection." The best person to answer those questions and build a case for a lawsuit would be a Family and Divorce attorney who practices in your state.
    AltaVista Posts: 70, Reputation: 12

May 19, 2007, 08:52 PM
    1. If that's your picture, your husband is a moron! (and so is anyone who cheats, OK!)
    2. Alienation of Affection: while it's an amusing little law, it's only still on the books in about 4 states. I had this same question just last summer from a neighbor.
    Good luck with this situation...
    AltaVista Posts: 70, Reputation: 12

May 19, 2007, 09:09 PM
    Well upon looking a little deeper here, I find that he's been a moron a number of times!
    Since this is your other post: "My husband has had several affairs"
    Something is Very wrong in this marriage, and I really hope you can work all this out. It's time to stop checking for names and lawsuits - it's time to get out! Rather, get him out!
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

May 20, 2007, 04:31 AM
    Honestly, I wish you could, some people just doesn't care what they are doing and to whom they are doing it to. I know that someday they will have to give account for what they did.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Our court systems are clogged up with more important things than adultery. Don't clog them even more with a trivial lawsuit. I don't mean to minimize your plight, but if your husband is cheating, kick him to the curb and leave the courts out of it. Cases like what you are talking about are why people have to wait MONTHS for a court date.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Marily I respect that you don't agree with my opinion, but if you read my post carefully, you see that I said, "I don't mean to minimize your plight". No, I don't know what this woman is going through, but family courts are clogged as it is. Which is more important, this woman making her husband "pay" for cheating on her, or a woman fighting for custody for her children? When silly cases like this which are for vengeance alone end up in court, it undermines the usefulness of courts, and prevents people who can really be serviced by the court from having their day. It exhausts the system. I'm offering help to OP by saying kick the cheating a** to the curb, don't drag it out in court and use up precious resources that can be better utilized. Make him "pay" by divorcing him and take half his stuff. Ask for alimony, whatever. But charging someone with cheating? It serves no purpose, and if the judge doesn't rule in her favor, she's out time and money. Then what?

Now does that really sound that INsensitive?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

US Citizen married filing separately, spouse lives outside US: does spouse need ITIN? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is German, living in Europe full time. We got married in the US in September 2006. My husband is applying for a green card but meanwhile cannot enter the US, due to immigration rules. Therefore we have not lived in the US together...

He's had an affair, what now? [ 52 Answers ]

My husband and I have been together for over 12 years/married for 11. We have a young child. I have been at home with our child all of her life. About 2 years ago, I found out the he was having an affair. He said that it never turned physical. If nothing else, it was an emotional affair. Well,...

How do I get over his affair? [ 8 Answers ]

We have been married for 6 years... when we first started dating my husband continued to have sex with his ex-wife up until shortly after we were married-- because he has a child with her we still have her in our lives.. I am trying with everything that I have to be over this-- but I am finding...

Third wheel of an affair [ 16 Answers ]

I met this couple last summer in a college class and we got along very well so we continued being friends. I learned about them and found that their marriage is friendly, but shows no real emotional love. It seems that they stay with each other because they need each other for all the reasons that...

Affair [ 3 Answers ]

Any advice on getting over an affair ?

View more questions Search