Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wonder1984 Posts: 74, Reputation: 2

May 16, 2007, 11:36 AM
    How do I se if my conditioner or shampoo contains silicone?
    Hey all!
    Don't know where to post this really but here it is:

My doctor told me not to use shampoo with silicone in it bur didn't tell me what shapoo's have silicone or not in them.
    So how do I tell on the ingredients if a shampoo contains alcohol?

Thanks!
    AndreaB212 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

May 16, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Silicone or alcohol? :-P It should be listed *somewhere* on the bottle. Otherwise, you might want to call your doctor (or the office) and see if he/she can give you some suggestions as to what shampoos are safe for you to use.

~A
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

May 16, 2007, 07:18 PM
    To find out if a shampoo and conditioner contains silicone or not look at the ingredients on the label. If the ingredients on the label says Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone or silicone, avoid using the products. Remember that Dimethicone and Cyclomethicone are silicone derived emollients.
    Wonder1984 Posts: 74, Reputation: 2

May 18, 2007, 12:32 AM
    Okay PrettyLady that's the kind o answer I was looking for :)
    Although I did a search on the internet.
    And I found a polymer that was in my old shampoo "Polyquaternium" and I found it was widley used in shampoo. The "poly" extension made me scared thinking it was a silicone so I threw it out.
    Was I correct or is it another type of chemical?

Thank you!

Ps. Checked my new shampoo that my pharathept gave to me and guess what! It contained Dimethicone!
    Or more correct:
    Methoxy PEG/PP-G7/3 Aminopropyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone Propyl PG- Betaine
    Should I ask my paramthept for my money back?

Thank you so much! :)
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

May 19, 2007, 10:58 AM
    Polyquaternium is not derived from silicone, however, Dimethicone and Cyclomethicone are silicone derived emollients. If your doctor advised you not to use shampoos that contains silicone, then you should definitely avoid using the shampoo that the pharmacist gave you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to tell if things contain silicone? [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all! Don't know where to post this really but here it is: My doctor told me not to use shampoo with silicone in it bur didn't tell me what shapoo's have silicone or not in them. So how do I tell on the ingredients if a shampoo contains alcohol? Thanks!

Silicone between a 2 piece shower unit? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We have a 2 piece shower unit with a gap between the wall and the tub. Should I use silicone to fill this gap? The gap is 1/16 to 3/16 of an inch and water goes in and lays in the back of it. We have trouble cleaning this gap. I have not used silicone because I am afraid mold or mildew will...

Vosene Shampoo [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I bought vosene original shampoo yesterday as I was advised it would fade my already fading dark hair colour. Has anybody else tried vosene shampoo and has it worked for you? If so how long does it take? Thanks

Shampoo [ 10 Answers ]

Is it true that you should change shampoos every once in a while, because your hair gets used to the shampoo? And if so, is this true even if you're already using an expensive salon shampoo? Thanks.

View more questions Search