Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kcmichel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2003, 08:48 AM
    2001 Sienna brakes
    Just wondering if I've got a "lemon" or if anyone has heard of this; my Toyota Sienna's brakes have always squeaked, about 11,000 miles ago & the 2nd time I took it to the dealer (for both squeaks & going to the floor) they "couldn't duplicate it" but put a new master cylinder in. Well, now it's happening again, squeaking very badly when brake is applied & pedal started going to the floor when stopped on a hill... just like the last time. I bought this in Aug or 2001 with 100 miles on it.
    Any help before I try to take thhis to the dealer again, would help!
    Thanks!
    jmfp702 Posts: 15, Reputation: 0

May 18, 2007, 03:18 AM
    Is the pedal going (to the floor) or just (Lower than it should) the squeeking can be from cracks in the pads, or glazing on the pads, and it can be caused by overheating of the braking system sometimes this can happen just from the drivers habbits, do you brake real hard? The pedal to the floor usually only happens when you are having a hydralic problem, if you are leaking fluid out a caliper or line and it gets on the pads that will cause a squeek also. If you do not find any brake fluid leaking its possible you could have a caliper binding up and it is not allowing your pad to retract so it is constantly dragging the pad on the rotor wich definitely will cause overheating of the brake system
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2007, 04:12 PM
    This may cost you some bucks but I think you'll be a lot happier in the end. Toyota basically fired the manufacture who supplied the brake parts for your '01 Sienna. When they designed the '04 model, it was a whole new set up and a lot better brakes.
    Here's what you need. Both rear drums have been updated to a completely new part. The wheel cylinders tend to leak behind the boots, so get them checked closely too. If you haven't had the rear shoes done yet, I highly recommend those with the new drums.

The budget way is to have the rear brakes cleaned and adjusted, then apply some BG anti-squeal (most dealers have this) to the shoe surface. Then, I affix 1.5 oz stick on wheel weights to the rear of the backing plate to dampen the squeal vibration.
    Yes, this is all coming from the REAR brakes, but on occation I see the front caliper slide pins seize and cause a sinking brake pedal feel.
    Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Brakes [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire in a Tekonsha Electric Brake controller into a 1992 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab? Thanks for your replies!

2000Dodge Inrepid A/C and Brakes [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am a girl and I had my car looked at because my A/C was blowing hot and they checked it for leaks with dye etc and recharged it that lasted about a week what is wrong with it? It wasn't charged when I got it at the used car dealership either and I made them charge it but that didn't last long...

Brakes [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1999 dodge intrepid es 78,000 miles abs brakes with traction control I 'am have problems with front brakes draging real bad and brake pedal getting real hard only in stop and go traffic

Problem with brakes [ 2 Answers ]

My brake pedal started acting strange today. Before, when I would press it, the car would brake normally, and the pedal would stand where it is. Today when I press the pedal, it starts braking normally, but then gradually starts braking less... if I keep pressing in the pedal it would brake the...

Brakes [ 1 Answers ]

91 honda accord exr the problem i am having is with my brakes. Sometimes the brakes drag but i have check the sliders and they are okay. Also sometimes when u turn or even going straight u hear a funny noise. Like 2 pieces of metal touching for a second. Any idea?

View more questions Search