Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MelbGal75 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 11:30 PM
    EXCEL - Wrap Text not working!
    Hi
    I have a spreadsheet with one column having quite a bit of data in it.

I have tried to 'wrap text' as well as 'auto-fit' within the row to no avail.

Some of the information is still not visible no matter what I do.

I have exhausted all possible options including excel help online and cannot fix the problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

TS
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Apr 11, 2007, 01:28 AM
    Could you tell which version of EXcel you are using.
    If all wrapped text is not visible, it may be because the row is set to a specific height. Try to adjust the row height and check if it is working.
    WvR Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

May 18, 2007, 01:29 AM
    You have to change your row height as well to see al the data
    Format
    Row
    Autofit

May 18, 2007, 01:30 AM
    Sorry I see you alrready tried that - can you post an example of a cell that won't fit?

May 24, 2007, 12:08 AM
    Try dragging the row higher with your mouse - the same way you would a column
    tessica Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2007, 09:16 AM
    I ran into the same problem and found the following:

"You cannot use the AutoFit feature for rows or columns that contain merged cells in Excel"

http://support.microsoft.com/default...10&Product=xlw

Once I took all of the merged cells out, it worked fine. Ridiculous, eh?
    Skiprr Posts: 1, Reputation: 3

Aug 11, 2008, 02:52 PM
    I had the same issue with Excel 2007, and it drove me nuts. I was using data pulled in from another application, and formatted it specifically as TEXT to try to help avoid any interpretations by Excel of the text as numeric or date data (some of the text was Spanish, some contained time-stamps, curly brackets, etc.).

Even manually resizing the row height and adding hard carriage returns (Alt+Enter) didn't help. On most of the long lines all I got was the infuriating "##########".

Purely by accident, I reset one of the rows to GENERAL formatting rather than TEXT. Guess what? Normal word wrap ensued.

So it seems Excel 2007 won't always let you text-wrap text. :confused: Check the cell formatting and see if changing it to GENERAL does the trick.
    JohnSFO Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2009, 11:19 PM
    Type in the word "Limitations" into Excel Help. You will see that each cell can accommodate a maximum of 1,024 characters, even though 32,767 will display in the formula bar.
    eedee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 12:10 AM
    For some reason in my case Excel 2003 changes TEXT & WRAP formatted cell contents to display on hashes when there are more than 255/256 characters of text. Changing to GENERAL format displays more characters correctly and wraps text, with and without Alt+Enter given line breaks within the cell.
    jibbajabba Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2010, 06:52 AM
    Try selecting all (CTRL-A) in the worksheet then double clicking one of numbered row dividers on the left hand of the screen. This will expand
    Rows to fit their contents correctly.
    dianej32 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2010, 02:55 PM
    Thank you Skiprr - that fixed my problem! I was importing the data into Excel 2007 from a text file created on a unix system. I imported it all as "text". One column was very long, and would not work wrap. When I changed the format to General, word wrap magically worked just like it should. Thank you ! Thank you ! Thank you!
    technoidea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2011, 09:10 PM
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's head is being done in with this!! I just tried UN-merging the cells and auto height adjust does work. Very annoying - so I guess you have to manually change the width of the cell instead of merging it?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 09:04 AM

You can select a range of cells and use the Center Across Selection option in the Alignment tab of the Format Cells window. (Press Ctrl-1)
    k3fjrqzb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2011, 03:12 AM
    WRONG!!

1. Select the suspect cell
    2. RIGHT click
    3. Select FORMAT CELLS
    4. Select the far elft tab: NUMBER
    5. Select the GENERAL category
    6. Ta-Da
    mick1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2012, 08:31 AM
    Thank you to SkipRR above - Changing the Cell format to General stopped the ########## and allowed me to view text.
    Ahhhhhh I love Google and helpful peeps. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Excel 15 digit issue, tried converting to text, text to column feature negates fix [ 6 Answers ]

I have the following numbers that exceed 15 characters that needs to be split into its own columns. Down the road, there would be thousands of such rows of data with the first couple set of unique numbers. 890432453253208820,5004500558,05CC,1,0,0,0,0,0,0, 0000,5.0000,2007-01-11...

Wrap Text in Excel 2003 [ 5 Answers ]

Am setting up a table for my DVD collection, so far, so good. Under the Notes column where I put in information regarding the movie, I've been going to Format, Cells, Alignment and clicking Wrap Text to get how I want it. Is there a way where the text would wrap without me doing that for every...

Wire wrap [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if there is a specific NEC code that states you MUST wrap copper wire for receptacles under the screw clock-wise?

Disappearing Text Boxes in Excel Bar Chart [ 7 Answers ]

I have been working on this large horizontal bar chart. It has about 100 items to show as bars of different sizes, and requires 100 text boxes for comments. I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH TEXT BOXES BECAUSE THEY DISAPPEAR CONTINUALLY. If I click the area where a text box is, then it comes back. But I...

Display text vertically and not horizontally in 1 cell (Excel) [ 2 Answers ]

How would you display a line of text to show vertically after each text in one cell? For example: Total Activity Cost And not Total Activity Cost (in one cell)? Thank you in advance.

View more questions Search