Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BraxaRI Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Composite Decking saw blade
    The manufacturer (Evergrain) recommends 2 teeth per inch. Would that mean an 80 tooth 12" chop saw blade and 40 tooth 7.25" circular saw blade?

From ThisOldHouse.com - "To cut composite or plastic decking, manufacturers recommend using carbide-tipped saw blades with 18 to 24 teeth per inch, to reduce friction and prevent the blade from gumming up." 18 to 24 teeth per inch? That has to be a misprint.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Apr 9, 2007, 02:57 PM
    A standard 7-1/4" framing blade with 24 teeth is plenty good for composite material.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 9, 2007, 05:40 PM
    TOH blew it unless they want you to use a hacksaw. 25 teeth is for thin metal. You hide it exactly on the head, a 40 tooth 7 1/2" carbide blade is what you need. Black and Decker makes a Pirrana (sp?) blade.

Apr 10, 2007, 05:07 AM
    Thanks guys! I don't feel like experimenting on a $2.25 plf piece of material.

Apr 10, 2007, 06:35 AM
    You got a good product at a cheap price. Some of that stuff can go for nearly $4 p/ft. I recently decided not to use any of it because some fad and can't be stained and others have a limited warranty. I know 5/4 PT pine will last as long as their warranty, cheap too. Evergrain does look pretty nice.

Apr 10, 2007, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    You got a good product at a cheap price. Some of that stuff can go for nearly $4 p/ft. I recently decided not to use any of it because some fad and can't be stained and others have a limited warranty. I know 5/4 PT pine will last as long as their warranty, cheap too. Evergrain does look pretty nice.
    That $2.25 price is why I jumped on it so quickly. That is $0.25 cheaper than I've seen anywhere else. I've done a major amount of research on the product and haven't found any negative opinions on it. After spending 2 days digging and pouring footers and pads, I decided that I'd rather spend the extra cash now rather than staining/weatherproofing wood every other year. I'm planning on using deckmaster hidden fasteners; any opinion on them?

Apr 10, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Can't be of much help since I have not used them. They look great and I considered them before switching to PT pine. If Evergrain recommends them then by all means do it. Otherwise your screws will create a bit of a mushroom. The only thing that concerns me is that I don't see what the product looks like 5 -8 years done the road. Stains do fade due to UV and most of these procts will not accept a new stain. Tons of people are going in your direction. Did TOH give any opinions of this decking? Try DYI .com too, I'm on that help desk also. Good luck,
    Bob

Apr 10, 2007, 12:46 PM
    That is my one beef with Evergrain; they don't recommend any fasteners. They told me that people love using "them" with their product, but wouldn't define "them". Seems like they don't want to be held responsible for someone else's system. Definition - Look for them to come out with a fastener system in the future.

Apr 10, 2007, 04:51 PM
    I once read in their website a warning about mushrooming. They are probably dodging some liability issue and don't make their own fasteners. I think other brands do recommend them.
    toddwess Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 07:26 AM
    What about a jigsaw blade? I'm using a jigsaw to cut out notches for the railing posts on vernada decking material, and having a hard time with my standard wood jigsaw blade.

Any recommendations for a blade for jigsaw cutting?

Thanks,
    Todd

TOH blew it unless they want you to use a hacksaw. 25 teeth is for thin metal. You hide it exactly on the head, a 40 tooth 7 1/2" carbide blade is what you need. Black and Decker makes a Pirrana (sp?) blade.

May 17, 2007, 07:45 AM
    How wide is your rail, most composite rails are only 3" so it doesn't sound right about make a notch. I think I'm not picturing what you are doing. Any chance for a pic or drawing. Jig saw blades for composite would go back to TOH recommendation. 18-24 teeth is OK for a jig saw just not a circular saw blade.
    toddwess Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 08:08 AM
    I am using deck boards that are 5 1/4" wide. They need to be notched out to accoomodate the existing support beams that are 3.5x3.5.

What are TOH recommendations?

Todd

How wide is your rail, most composite rails are only 3" so it doesn't sound right about make a notch. I think I'm not picturing what you are doing. Any chance for a pic or drawing. Jig saw blades for composite would go back to TOH recommendation. 18-24 teeth is OK for a jig saw just not a circular saw blade.

May 17, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Hey Todd, I take back my 18-24 teeth after picking up my saw today. That was double what you should use on a jig. Do uyou have access to a reciprocating saw, they are 5X faster than a jig. If ou stay with a jig, 10-16 teeth per in. I was "notching" today but with PT pine. I did both cuts with my circular saw and finishe that little wedge with ahand saw, you could use your jig at that spot too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circular saw blade sharpening [ 8 Answers ]

Any pointers on sharpening circular saw blades, can a 3 cornered file be used, what about setting the teeth. Also how about simple tools for sharpening carbide teeth

How do I sharpen table saw blade [ 19 Answers ]

Can someone explain how to sharpen carbide tipped 10" table saw blades? I have a grinder and a Dremel tool, and I would like to sharpen my blade myself. Please indicate if there is an angle to the tips, just the outer edge sharpened? Please tell me step by step. Thanks.

Decking on a Slope [ 3 Answers ]

We have a pool in our back yard with a ten foot concrete decking sourrounding it. We would like to extend a wood or simulated wood decking an additional 20 feet over an area that slopes down the side of a hill. The slope drops approx. 1:1 and I'm trying to figure out what type of footing I need...

Composite Decking [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing wood deck. Would like to replace the floor boards, railing and stair system with a composite material. Live by the ocean so need a product that will withstand the elements. Heard of Trex, Veranda, Fiberglass--any advice on these or other products would be appreciated.

View more questions Search